It brings people together to share skills, knowledge, creativity and learning to build a more integrated, prosperous and peaceful Continent driven by its citizens. The volunteering opportunities are intended to build professionalism and a sense of responsibility among the participants, thus enhancing their employability.
Young African professionals are recruited to serve for a period of 12 months as AU Volunteers in an AU Member State other than their own. The next Intake of volunteers for deployment In 2019/20 will be from the 01 – 30 June 2019.
Applicant’s have to meet the following criteria: 1. Citizen of an AU Member State living on the continent or the Diaspora; 2. Aged between 18 – 35 years: 3. Have a post-secondary certified qualification(s) (TVET. Bachelor’s. Master’s etc.) 4. Available to dedicate 12 (twelve) months for volunteer work, 5. Willing to live and work in another AU Member State, 6. Is proficient in at least one AU language (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese), 7. Has at least one year verifiable volunteering experience and one year professional work experience.
To submit your application.
1. Create an account on the REGISTER HERE portal (instructions and video tutorial available )
2 Fill out your personal information and the application form
3. Attach the following documents: –
Your updated professional CV (no longer than 3 pages) – Bio page of your passport (or national ID) – Copy of your highest completed qualification (no transcripts) -Attach a letter of recommendation (not older than 2 years) attesting to your leadership qualities.
4. Attach your cover letter. In your cover letter please respond to the following questions: –
Why do you want to become an African Union Youth Volunteer? What makes you the best candidate for AU-YVC?
What skills are you bringing to the AU-YVC and your host organization?
5. Review and submit your application before: Sunday. 30 June 2019 midnight (Addis Ababa time)
Please note • Incomplete and late applications will not be considered
• Providing incomplete or incorrect information is ground for immediate termination.
Areas of Focus
On the field, AU Youth Volunteers would serve primarily in the following fields:
- Health and HIV/ AIDS
- Peace and Security
- Information and Communications Technology
- Business and Youth Entrepreneurship
- Agriculture and Environment
AU-YVC volunteer are deployed strictly in non for profit settings where their impact and contributions can fill the gap for much needed skilled man power. This would typically be:
- Rural Community Schools
- Hospitals and Health Centers
- Post Conflict Setting
- International Organizations
- Government Offices/ Ministries
1. 8 July – eligibility check;
2. 31 July – successful applicant will be notified,
3. August and October: Pre-deployment orientation training:
4. 2019/20: Deployment of trained volunteers.
The African Union Commission and partners will cover the full costs of pre-deployment train volunteer deployment for success.’ candidates.
An African Union Youth Volunteers receive the following benefits 8 opportunities:
1. Unique opportunity to interact with African Union processes and structure
2. Economy return air ticket from home town to place of deployment
3. A modest monthly stipend
4. Health insurance cover
5. AU Service Passport
6. Separation allowance on successful completion of twelve months service
7. Training and mentorship opportunities.