Deadline : Feb 20th 2020
Applications are now open for US-PAKISTAN KNOWLEDGE CORRIDOR PHD SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM 2020 FOR PAKISTANI/AJK NATIONALS
In June 2015 the United States and Pakistan established an Education, Science and Technology Working Group (ESTWG) under the Bilateral Strategic Dialogue. During the official visit of the Prime Minister of Pakistan to meet with President Obama and other US officials on October 22, 2015 the two leaders discussed the proposal to establish US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor and directed their respective governments to intensify their cooperation in this important framework to achieve the ambitious priority targets of developing high level human capital envisioned in Pakistan’s policy document Vision 2025.
2nd Meeting of the ESTWG was held in 29th February 2016 in Washington DC to develop a joint action plan for operationalizing the US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor and its salient elements. In general US agreed to support Pakistan’s efforts to strengthen its University system by jointly increasing the number of Pakistani faculty who obtain their Ph.D. in the US universities.
According to the Plan, ten thousand (10,000) Pakistani scholars will join US universities in next ten years as an effort of the Government of Pakistan to train its faculty resources in identified subject areas.
As Phase-I, 1500 scholarships will be financed through Public Sector Development Program (PSDP) and the project has been approved in ECNEC, held on Jan 25, 2017.
Pakistani citizens/nationals with strong academic histories, committed to returning and serving Pakistan are welcome to apply. Applicants are especially encouraged in the following fields, Arts and Humanities, Design & Media, Social Sciences, Engineering, Basic Sciences, Medical & Allied Health Sciences, Agriculture, Veterinary Sciences, Computer Science, Emerging Technologies, Water Resources, and Energy.
To be eligible, you must:
- Pakistani/AJK nationals
- Candidates having an MS/M.Phil. Degree (18 years of education) from HEC recognized universities
- Candidates with 4-years Bachelor Degree (16 years of education), eligible for direct admission in Ph.D. programs at US Universities
- Age limit: maximum 40 years for regular faculty & researchers of public sector universities/R&D organizations, and 35 years for all others
- Has acquired valid & acceptable GRE & TOEFL scores required for admission in US Universities
- Scholars who have already secured admission or those enrolled in PhD program in top 235 US Universities & 23 University Systems may also apply for scholarship
- Has an active commitment to serve universities/R&D organizations in Pakistan after the completion of studies.
- Academic merit based on HEC-AEF calculator will be applicable
- Have maximum of 2 Second Divisions throughout the academic career
- Have no 3rd Division or grade D in his/her career
- Not less than 50% marks in academic career.
The grant will be offered for maximum period of 4/5 years.
- The scholarship covers living expenses and return airfare; however, it does not cover Tuition Fee. Candidates need to secure admission with complete Tuition Fee waiver, from a university among the selected 235 US Universities or from a university falling under any of the 23 university systems – mentioned on ‘US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor’ segment of HEC website.
- Higher Education Commission (HEC) has negotiated tuition fee waivers for Pakistani students, with different ranked US Universities. HEC shall refer potential candidates – who meet the basic eligibility criteria for award of HEC scholarship – to partnering US Universities, for consideration of admission and tuition fee waiver. Candidates selected by the host US University after satisfying respective admission criteria shall be offered HEC scholarship under ‘US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor’ project.
Please note that HEC attested documents are not required with the application. Only send the printout of duly signed online application form, to:
Project Management Unit (PMU)
US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor
Higher Education Commission
Hard copy of the pre-requisite documents will be required after initial shortlisting & PMU HEC will intimate successful candidates accordingly.
HOW TO APPLY:
HEC has announced Opportunities for Pakistani Scholars to pursue PhD studies in Top US Universities under US-Pakistan Knowledge Corridor from fall, 2017. The Scholars can apply online through the link: http://eportal.hec.gov.pk/US-pakcorridor
To Login please visit http://eportal.hec.gov.pk/US-pakcorridor
- New User Registration:To create profile for first time user, fill in the available form on the link mentioned above.
Click on ‘Register’ for new users and follow the steps stated below:
- You will be required to create user ID by using your CNIC (without dashes) as User ID and select your password.
- Create an Account and fill the required information available on the screen.
- Click and obtain ‘Mobile Code’ on your provided mobile no. for further process. (Currently, MNC / Ported numbers are not supported)
- After receiving code on your mobile enter the code.
- Enter your email ID and click Send Code. You will receive a code on your provided email.
- Please enter a valid email ID.
- Perform code verification and click on submission.
- You will be registered successfully. Please check your email for further information.
- You will be required enter your created ‘User ID’ & ‘Password’ then ‘Sign in’ on HEC E-portal.
- Complete online profile section wise at http://eportal.hec.gov.pk
- Click ‘Scholarships and Grants’ on left ‘Navigation’ and then ‘US-PAK Knowledge Corridor Application’.
- Now follow instructions, fill and submit the form successfully.
For more Information: Visit the website for