Deadline: 10th September 2020
NIHR Clinician Researcher Programme 2020-2021 Award for Aspiring Clinician Researchers in North West Coast
For 2020-21 the Network plans to launch a new Clinician Research Programme, to support established clinicians (including medical, nursing and allied health professionals) interested in pursuing and leading their own clinical research. The Clinician Researcher Award provides clinicians with suitable experience to be Chief Investigators/Co-Chief Investigators with time and support to develop their research idea into grant submission(s).
Awards of one PA (modelled at 10% of salary costs to a maximum of £10,000 per annum) will be made for 12 months in the first instance (with possible extension for a further 6 months subject to progress). In order to ensure the success of the programme Partners are asked to match fund time up to the equivalent of one PA. This will ensure that those successful at obtaining an award have the support of their organisation and sufficient time (one day per week) to dedicate to developing their research idea and submitting a grant to an appropriate funding body. Bids from General Practitioners (GPs) are encouraged, the requirement for match funding will be waived where there is support from the practice for protected time.
Eligibility Criteria – NIHR Clinician Researcher Programme 2020-2021 Award
This programme will be open to:
• Consultants or qualified GPs with five or more years’ experience as an NHS Consultant
• Nurses & Allied Health Professionals (likely to be AFC 8a and above) who have sufficient researcher experience to lead their own grant
• Speciality Research Leads or others already working in paid roles for the Clinical Research Network: North West Coast are eligible to apply as long as they demonstrate sufficient time can be set aside to support grant submission
• Research Scholars from Cohort 1 are eligible to apply
• Clinicians who have identified a suitable and experienced mentor to provide support
Eligibility to the programme will require the following criteria to be met:
• Applicants will either currently be ‘involved’ in NIHR research either as an experienced principal Investigator or as a co-investigator on a grant award.
• Applicants must have written approval from their employing organisations (preferably from their CEO or a member of the Executive) to match fund their application for the Clinician Research Programme in terms of time released from clinical practice. Bids from General Practitioners (GPs) are encouraged, the requirement for match funding will be waived where there is support from the practice for protected time.
• Applicants must hold a substantive post in an NHS organisation within the Clinical Research Network: North West Coast or have been appointed to a substantive post starting within 3 months of programme commencement, and continue to work within the region for the duration of the programme.
• People in posts already funded to undertake post-graduate or doctoral research or clinical research (e.g. HEI funded clinical academics) are excluded from this programme.
Applicants for the programme should email [email protected] to request an application form and accompanying two page CV template.
• Applicants should provide with their application written confirmation from their Line Manager/Supervisor and their employing organisation (CEO or a member of the Executive) that they will be released for this programme and that the employing organisation will match the funding or time allocation.
• Shortlisted applicants will be invited to attend interview by video – conferencing. The interview panel will consist of experienced researchers and senior leaders of the CRN NWC.
• Feedback will be provided for applicants that are not successful following interview.
1. Call opens 10th August 2020
2. Closing date for applications 5pm Friday 10th September 2020
3. Successful applicants will be notified of their invite to interview by W/C 21st September 2020
4. Interviews will take place on W/C 28th September (applicants are request to keep these dates free if possible)
For more Information: Visit the webpage for NIHR Clinician Researcher Programme 2020-2021 Award