Deadline: 4th October 2020
Applications are now open for Brooke Owens Fellowship class of 2021.Brooke Owens Fellowship is designed to serve both as an inspiration and as a career boost to capable young women and other gender minorities who, like Brooke, aspire to explore our sky and stars, to shake up the aerospace industry, and to help their fellow people here on planet Earth.
HOW IT WORKS
- Fellows are matched by industry leaders to specific intern positions at one of the most exciting organizations in aerospace. Over the course of a ~12 week summer, Fellows complete meaningful projects, learn valuable skills, and are paid a living wage.
- Each Fellow is also matched with two senior- or executive-level mentors—one at their host company and one elsewhere in the industry. Our pool of Mentors includes astronauts, CEOs, award-winning journalists, and senior government officials. Mentors provide tailored advice on how to make the most of the Fellowship experience—and how to build a career.
- During the summer, all Fellows come together for a exclusive, one-of-a-kind Summit, making valuable connections and learning important skills. In addition to team projects and one-on-one mentoring sessions, the Summit features intense, private Q&A sessions with Congresswomen, astronauts, CEOS, and company founders.
- By earning their spot in the program, each Fellow is forever included in the Brooke Owens Fellowship network—including an open and direct line of communication to our programs founders, mentors, host companies, and supporters—in addition to the other extraordinary and passionate women and gender minorities in our alumnae network.
- Undergraduate student – You can be enrolled at any type of undergraduate institution: Community and Junior Colleges; Historically Black Colleges and Universities; Liberal Arts Colleges; Women’s Colleges; Tribal Colleges; Technical Institutes and Professional Schools; and Public or Private Universities. You can be taking a year off. You can be pursuing a second Associates or Bachelors degree.
- If you are a cisgender woman, a transgender woman, non-binary, agender, bigender, two-spirit, demigender, genderfluid, genderqueer, or another form of gender minority.
- You are available for full-time employment for a reasonable amount of time in the Summer of 2021.
- You are interested in pursuing a career in aerospace. You don’t have to have it all mapped out, nor is this a binding commitment. But a career in aerospace should be among your goals for the future; otherwise, you’d be taking a spot away from someone else who might need this shot to chase the career of their dreams.
Brooke Owens Fellowship 2021 Requirement Documents
CV – Make sure you are listing everything that might make you a valuable teammate at an aerospace company – which very likely includes your clubs, side-hustles, and other projects in addition to your course work and any past jobs or internships.
Transcript – We think GPAs are overrated, but not entirely meaningless. In the past, we’ve had Brookies with 4.0, and we’ve had Brookies with 2.0s, and all of them have succeeded.
So, if your GPA isn’t the best, don’t worry too much. We have a very high bar for awesomeness of our Fellows, but we know that GPAs are only one (flawed) way to show your talent.Unofficial transcripts will also be accepted.
Like we’ve said before, transcripts and résumés are useful sources of information, but limited. Letters of recommendation help, but only show us the perspective of other people. We find it most useful to learn about our candidates by asking them to create.
Accordingly, as part of our application, we require you to create three original works. These three works are designed to help us learn more about three different facets of you as a potential Fellow: 1) your professional and academic interests, 2) your fundamental character and personal interests, and 3) your service and community mindset. The more we learn about you through your application, the better!
FORMATS FOR ORIGINAL WORKS: SHORT ESSAY, LONG ESSAY, MULTIMEDIA
One of these works will be a short essay of approximately 250 words. In addition to telling us whatever you want to tell us with the content of your response to the prompt, this format will help us see how you can quickly, concisely, and clearly convey a key message – an important job skill for any career.
Another will be a longer essay of approximately 750 words. Again, in addition to the important content of your essay, this long essay form will help us see how you organize your thoughts around more complex topics and discussions.
The final work will be something we’ve named the ‘multimedia essay’ – which means it will take essentially any format that isn’t a written prose essay. Please feel free to choose the media that best reflects you, your interests, and your talents. Past Fellows have submitted poems, animations, written works of fiction, spoken word pieces, songs, graphic designs, comic books, and video monologues.
For more Information: Visit the webpage for Brooke Owens Fellowship cycle 2021