Al Jazeera Fellowship Program 2021 for Journalist and Scholars
The Al Jazeera Fellowship is designed to give journalists and scholars the opportunity to write a 7,000-word research paper on selected fields of journalism. Successful applicants will:
- Join a team within AJMN and experience the working environment first-hand.
- Meet with editors, journalists and other staff, relevant to their research proposal.
Full-time journalists and researchers with a background in media or social sciences.
Each fellow will be paid for the research performed during the program, in accordance with the progress of their research project.
How to join the Al Jazeera Fellowship Program?
Applicants must meet the following prerequisites:
Al Jazeera Fellowship Program 2021 Eligibility criteria
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Full-time journalist or researcher (freelancer or employed).
- At least 4 years of professional experience in journalism or research, relevant to journalistic and/or media fields.
- Strong research and writing skills.
- Fluent in English (speaking and writing).
- The Al Jazeera Fellowship in English is intended for citizens of non-Arab countries.
- In order to apply for the Fellowship, applicants must have a proper grasp of English academic writing.
Al Jazeera Fellowship Program 2021 Requirements
In addition to completing the online application form, applicants are required to submit the following documents in PDF format, with the exception of video, images or other graphic materials provided as work samples. Please note that if any of the following is missing, the application will not be considered.
- Curriculum vitae.
- Fellowship proposal (must include title, field of interest, objectives, methodology, abstract).
- Signed letter of commitment.
- 3 samples of the applicant’s work in English.
- Two letters of recommendation.
- Develop and submit a research paper of up to 7,000 words, as per the AJMI guidelines (these will be provided to successful applicants).
- Fellow must be accountable at all times. Monthly reports on work status/progress and completion must be submitted.
- Be an active and engaged member of the Al Jazeera community.
FIELD OF INTEREST
Priority will be given to projects focusing on digital journalism in the Arab world, in the following categories. Topics provided below are only illustrative and not exhaustive.
1) Digital Journalism
- Storytelling: How has storytelling changed with the transition from traditional journalism to digital journalism? Has the media been preoccupied with modern techniques and visual effects to the detriment of journalism and storytelling?
- Social news gathering and news verification.
- Intersection of journalism and technology: smart newsrooms, mobile journalism, data journalism, and so on.
2) Challenges facing media organizations
- How traditional media organizations are trying to tackle challenges, such as growing a social media audience, funding, recruiting the right talent, and so on.
- How is the old-media guard dealing with technology and social media?
- Do media organizations adopt digital strategies? How much importance do they attach to this?
- How are traditional media organizations incorporating digital platforms?
3) Media and democracy
- The role of journalists in promoting democratic practices and protecting human rights.
- Hate speech in the media and social networks.
- Promoting gender equality in journalism in the Arab world.
- Covering refugee stories from a human rights perspective.
- Covering war and conflict from a human rights perspective.
For more Information:Visit the webpage for Al Jazeera Fellowship Program 2021 for Journalist and Scholars