Deadline: December 23, 2020
The Global Youth Climate Network (GYCN) 2021 Climate Ambassador Program
The Global Youth Climate Network (GYCN), an initiative of the Youth-to-Youth (Y2Y) Community of young professionals at the World Bank Group*, is excited to launch the 2021 Climate Ambassador Program. GYCN seek motivated young leaders across the world with a passion for climate change and sustainable development, and a proven track record in youth community engagement and empowerment.
Why become a Climate Ambassador?
There is no Planet B! Climate change is the defining issue of our generation and we need to take bold action now. We are calling on youth around the world to amplify awareness and take action. Climate Ambassadors have the opportunity to act as youth catalysts throughout the world, working together on initiatives that raise awareness and mitigate climate change.
The Climate Ambassador Program is a nine-month online program that provides an educational and leadership opportunity for young leaders to tap into the WBG global knowledge on climate change and sustainable development, deepen understanding of climate change complexities in a rapidly changing global environment, learn how to design and implement various climate actions and effectively lead initiatives to mitigate climate change and tackle the most pressing issues in their communities. Furthermore, the program provides an excellent opportunity for young leaders to connect and amplify their message and scale up climate action!
Who can be a Climate Ambassador?
- You are 18-35 years old (at the time of application and through the end of September 2021)
- You are a dynamic, creative, and innovative changemaker who inspires and empowers others
- You are passionate about climate change and sustainable development
- You are motivated to design and lead climate initiatives and impact your community
- You have a proven track record in youth empowerment and community engagement and have the ambition to grow to your full potential
If these characteristics describe you and you are ready to make a difference with us, then fill in the form to apply for the Climate Ambassador Program NOW!
What are the key pillars of the Climate Ambassador Program?
- Learn: learn from World Bank Group experts and knowledge partners on the most pressing climate change issues and gain solid leadership skills to inspire and empower others in your communities.
- Act: commit to achieve at least three climate actions in your communities.
- Network: connect with like-minded youth across the globe to learn, exchange ideas, develop joint initiatives and projects, and amplify your impact.
- Engage: join an active and connected Global Alumni Community of Climate Ambassadors upon successful completion of the program.
What does it mean to be a Climate Ambassador?
We are looking for Ambassadors who can:
- Commit ~3 hours per week to act in their role between January through September 2021.
- Attend the opening orientation and closing sessions (at the beginning and at the end of the program), and biweekly online sessions on climate knowledge and leadership (two online sessions per month).
- Complete at least three climate-related actions in their communities.
- Actively participate in GYCN social media campaigns.
How does The Global Youth Climate Network (GYCN) 2021 Climate Ambassador Program work?
- The program is primarily based on the personal initiative of each climate ambassador. It is crucial that the ambassadors are self-driven and motivated.
- Climate Ambassadors must have internet access to participate in online sessions and calls. Also, they must possess good conversational English language skills.
- The learning component of the program includes biweekly learning sessions on climate knowledge and leadership that would cover: (i) Climate Change Learning Series, where experts and practitioners in the field of climate change and sustainable development will provide an overview of different climate change topics; and (ii) Leadership Skills Training in areas such as project design and implementation, public speaking, persuasive writing and blogging, community engagement, and advocacy.
- Climate Ambassadors will be asked to join a group chat where they can exchange ideas, share initiatives, and opportunities, and cross-promote events.
- During the program, Climate Ambassadors will be featured in Y2Y and GYCN social media and announcements to recognize their work as young changemakers. Ambassadors may also get visibility with GYCN knowledge partners.
- To successfully complete the program, Climate Ambassadors are required to attend the orientation and closing sessions, at least 8 online learning sessions (out of 12), take three climate actions, and report to GYCN on their implementation (i.e. share photos or videos).
- Upon successful completion of the program, Climate Ambassadors will receive a certificate outlining their contributions to, and successful completion of the program, join the Climate Ambassadors’ Alumni Community, and continue playing an active role in the GYCN.
- Alumni will get access to expert and peer networks, will be able to attend regular leadership and educational events organized by GYCN, co-host climate discussions, and continue raising awareness and empowering youth to take climate actions.
What climate actions can you take?
Climate Ambassadors are mandated to take three climate-related actions in their communities**. The most impactful actions and initiatives will be featured regularly on GYCN social media channels. Examples of self-selected initiatives may include but are not limited to the following:
- Host a guest speaker at your school, campus, workplace, or in your community
- Visit schools to discuss climate change
- Influence policy by contacting your local government
- Host a film screening of a climate-related movie
- Fundraise for climate-related NGOs
- Organize a beach- or litter clean-up
- Promote climate-friendly actions and waste reduction in your community – for example through biking to school/work campaign or plogging (sport while cleaning)
- Organize tree planting or volunteer with a community garden
- Host workshops between corporations and climate-related startups in supporting new ideas on climate change and fundraising for the startups
- Host a clothing donation at your school/workplace and donate to a climate charity
- Convey climate change messages through art and visuals, i.e. organize a photo exhibition, create video clips concerning climate change or on how to conserve the environment, start a blog, etc.
Applicants must meet the age and language requirements, and will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Past and current experience as a youth leader in communities at the local, regional, national, or global level; demonstrated ability to organize community activities is an advantage.
- Passion for climate change and sustainable development, and motivation to take actions and empower others.
- Scale and strength of the applicant’s network and active presence on any of the social media platforms.
- The potential impact of the applicant’s proposed contributions to their communities and networks.
The evaluation and selection process will take into account various factors, such as diversity in age, gender, and geographic locations to select a set of individuals that closely reflect the global community.
|December 23, 2020||Application Deadline|
|January 8, 2021||Announcement of Selected Applicants|
|January 15, 2021||Virtual Orientation Session|
|January – June 2021||Participation in 12 online learning sessions:Climate change learning seriesLeadership skills training|
|January – July 2021||Implementation of at least three climate actions by Climate Ambassadors|
|August 31, 2021||Deadline to report to the GYCN on climate actions taken by Climate Ambassadors|
|September 15, 2021||Closing session and celebration|
|2021 onwards||Events and activities of the Climate Ambassador Alumni Community (voluntary)|
If you want to amplify your message, scale-up climate action, and impact your community, join the 2021 Climate Ambassador Program!
Apply by December 23, 2020, through the online form: https://forms.gle/tBAq5rrLJ53WRkKWA
Questions? Email us at [email protected]
For More Information: Visit the Official Webpage of the World Bank Group/GYCN 2021 Climate Ambassador Program