Application Deadline: May 17th 2021
2021 (MMC) Alternative Voices Short Essay Competition The notion of alternative narratives and alternative perspectives is important for the Mixed Migration Centre (MMC) and will be central to this year’s Mixed Migration Review (MMR), our flagship annual report. MMC are inviting 2021 (MMC) Alternative Voices Short Essay Competition rs will have their essays published in a section of the MMR2021 dedicated to “Alternative voices” and receive a prize of USD 1,500 each.
2021 (MMC) Alternative Voices Short Essay Competition Requirements
- The competition is open to writers from and based in Asia, Africa and Latin American countries who are 30 years of age or younger. The winning essays will offer original analysis, alternative narrative or new perspectives of mixed migration and related issues, from the global south, as well as the specific region where the authors are based.
- The subject matter can relate to any aspect included in mixed migration such as: the politics or trends around migration or displacement; human smuggling or human trafficking; refugees and asylum issues; immobility; human mobility and climate change; migration myths, misconceptions or biases. The perspective can be local or regional, conceptual or based on cases studies.
- The short essay will be between 1,500-2,000 words long.
Read Also: 2021 Global Development Awards Competition
How to Participate
- To enter the competition applicants should send a short abstract of no more than 250 words outlining the content of their intended essay to the following email address before the end of Monday the 17th of May 2021 (CET).
- Thank you for indicating in your message your nationality and where you are based.
- Email address [email protected] and clearly marked in the email subject as ‘’Alternative Voices Prize’’.The abstract and the essay itself can be written in either French, Spanish or English, but the winning 5 essays will be printed in English only – translated, where necessary, by MMC. Individuals can send up to 2 abstracts per person. The most interesting abstracts will be selected by the MMC team and their authors will then be asked to compete for the essay prizes. Those invited to compete on the basis of accepted abstracts will be informed by the 31st of May and have one month to complete their 1,500 – 2,000 words essay. All essays need to be submitted by the 30th of June.
- The outcome of the competition will be made by the 16th of July.
- No prizes are given for having an abstract accepted and being invited to join the competition.
- A maximum of 5 essays will be selected for publication and their five authors be given the prize money.
For More Information:Visit the Official Webpage of the Alternative Voices Short Essay Competition 2021