Deadline: Sunday 21 March 2021, 23.59 UK time
British Council ELTons Innovation Awards 2021 – Applications for Innovation in English Language Teaching and Learning.
Have you produced an innovative English language teaching or learning product, publication or service in the last two years? Make your submission to the ELTons Innovation Awards!
The five ELTons award Categories
Professionals in English language education around the world – educators, leaders, publishers, project managers, writers and authors – are invited to apply for the prestigious, international awards, across one of the five ELTons’ categories:
- Excellence in Course Innovation – Courses using a fresh variety of content, formats, or media, to help learners achieve stretching levels of English language proficiency.
- Innovation in Teacher Resources – Resources supporting English language teaching professionals, whether through teacher training, education, or Continuing Professional Development.
- Innovation in Learner Resources – Services, activities, materials or works using innovative means to improve English language learners’ proficiency in vocabulary, grammar, fluency, receptive and productive skills, or vital language skills for study or for work.
- Digital Innovation – Use of digital technology or media – cutting edge technologies, or original use of existing technology – to benefit high-quality English language learning
- Local Innovation in partnership with Cambridge Assessment English – Resources or project innovating to meet specific, local needs, within local, national or regional contexts around the world
You can find the full descriptions of the five award categories and select the category your innovation fits best in the ELTons 2021 Application Guidance document at the bottom of this page.
Visit the ELTons 2020 web page to see last years’ winners and finalists.
ELTons Judges’ Commendations
In 2021, in addition to submitting your innovation into one of the ELTons’ five main award categories, you can also choose to put your entry forward to be considered for two special commendations, the ELTons Judges’ Commendations for:
- Environmental Sustainability and Climate Action (new for 2021)
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI)
The two commendations are not separate award categories but are additional commendations given only to the finalists of the awards.
You can choose if you would like your entry to also be considered for the commendation in your application form. Please find further information about the ELTons’ commendation in the ELTons 2021 Application Guidance document at the bottom of this page.
Find out more about how to enter your innovation below – and we wish you the very best of luck.
British Council ELTons Innovation Awards 2021 Application process
To enter your innovation into the ELTons 2021, there are two steps to the application process.
To enter your innovation:
- Complete the ELTons 2021 application form (available at the bottom of the page).
- Upload your application via the ELTons online submission portal.
Note: Application forms can be submitted either as a Microsoft Word or PDF file.
To complete your application submission via the ELTons online submission portal, in addition to your application form, you must submit one, digital copy of your entry (e.g. digital access to your course, book, app, platform, project materials, etc.).
Please note, entry samples to the ELTons 2021 must be provided in a digital format. (Unfortunately, due to the current circumstances it is not possible to submit physical samples.)
Find out how to submit your entry in the ELTons 2021 Application Guidance document at the bottom of this page.
Deadline for submission of applications: Sunday 21 March 2021, 23.59 UK time
Key dates for the ELTons 2021
- Sunday 21 March: Application deadline
Deadline for completed application forms and entry samples to be submitted electronically via the online ELTons’ submission portal.
- March to mid-April:
Judging – round one
- Mid-April to mid-June:
Judging – round two. Selection of ELTons 2021 finalists
- Mid to late June:
Announcement of the ELTons 2021 finalists
- Summer 2021:
Judging – round three. Selection of ELTons 2021 winners.
- October 2021:
ELTons 2021 awards ceremony