DEADLINE: 31 March 2022
University of KwaZulu Natal Richard AD Turner Bursary Fund 2022 for South Africans
Apply for the University of KwaZulu Natal Richard AD Turner Bursary Fund for South Africans. The University of KwaZulu-Natal was established in 2004 as a merger between the University of Natal and Durban-Westville. The University of KwaZulu-Natal consists of 5 main campuses, namely Edgewood, Howard College, Medical School, Pietermaritzburg, and Westville campus. The University’s campuses hold a number of colleges, specialising in different trades and disciplines.
The vision of the University of KwaZulu-Natal is to be the premier University of African Scholarship and its mission is to be a proudly South African institution that promoted academic excellence and research that is innovative, engaged with society, and entrepreneurial.
ABOUT THE UKZN RICHARD AD TURNER BURSARY – FIELDS COVERED
The University of KwaZulu-Natal is inviting students to apply for the Richard AD Turner Bursary Fund. The scholarship is open to Masters degrees students at UKZN, who demonstrable student leadership credentials and proven involvement in community work in which democratic endeavours are highlighted. The scholarship supports Master’s level research which focuses on issues of justice and freedom for all South Africans.
The Scholarship award was formed in memory of the late Richard “Rick” Turner who was assassinated during the apartheid era. UKZN has received a generous bequest via the terms of the last Will of Winifred Jane Turner (mother of Richard Turner). “Rick” held a “oppositional stance” and his involvement with Trade Unions exerted a significance influence within the University community.
www.zabursaries.co.za is committed to keeping you up to date with the latest bursary opportunities, and this article covers all details about the UKZN Richard AD Turner Bursary.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR THE UKZN RICHARD AD TURNER BURSARY
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- You must be enrolling for Masters degree studies at the University of KwaZulu-Natal (with research which focuses on issues of justice and freedom for all South Africans)
- You must demonstrable student leadership credentials
- You must be involved in community work in which democratic endeavours are highlighted
- You must be willing to contribute to student leadership while holding the award
- Your field of expertise must be inclined towards trade unionism
HOW TO APPLY FOR THE UKZN RICHARD AD TURNER BURSARY
Download and complete the UKZN Richard AD Turner Bursary Application 2022 (.docx)
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- Full detailed Curriculum Vitae (maximum 5 pages)
- Most recent degree
- Full Academic transcript
- 1 or more referee reports commenting on your leadership/ community involvement
- Master’s thesis/ dissertation proposal (maximum 3 pages) OR a motivation for your chosen research area
- Motivational letter stating why you should be considered for this scholarship (1 page)
Applications must be submitted to the Financial Aid Advisor of your relevant college:
College of College of Agriculture, Engineering Sciences:
- Howard campus: (Contact person: Ms Linda Mdunge, email: Mdungel@ukzn.ac.za / Contact person: Mr Gerald Naicker, email: Naickerge@ukzn.ac.za)
- Pietermaritzburg campus (Contact person: Ms Marcia Ntamote, email: NtamoteM@ukzn.ac.za / Contact person: Heather Singh, email: Singhh@ukzn.ac.za)
- Westville campus: (Contact person: Mr Mbongiseni Mkhize, email: Mkhizemb@ukzn.ac.za / Contact person: Lindiwe Kumalo, email: Kumalo@ukzn.ac.za)
College of Health Science:
- Howard and Medical School campus: (Contact person: Mr Bongumusa Gumbi, email: Gumbib5@ukzn.ac.za)
- Westville campus: (Contact person: Mr Jainendra Maharajh, email: Maharajhj1@ukzn.ac.za)
College of Humanities:
- (All campuses, email: CHUMBursaryApp@ukzn.ac.za)
College of Law & Management Studies
- Westville campus: (Contact person: Mrs Merci Rajkumar, email: Rajkumarma@ukzn.ac.za / Contact person: Bongamusa Gasa, email: Gasa@ukzn.ac.za)
- Pietermaritzburg campus (Contact person: Mr Sandile Mngadi, email: Ndimandes1@ukzn.ac.za)
- Howard College (Contact person: Ms Nosipho Mkhize, email: MkhizeN5@ukzn.ac.za)
Note: insert the words “UKZN Richard AD Turner Bursary Application 2022” in the email subject line.
For any queries related to this scholarship programme, please contact the Financial Aid Advisor of your relevant college at University of KwaZulu-Natal (per the email addresses above).