Apply for food stamps in 10 minutes – Calfresh Application

Apply for food stamps in 10 minutes. GetCalFresh is a service delivered by Code for America on behalf of the people of California.

Here’s how CalFresh works.

Submit an application

We’ll guide you step by step. This should take about 10 minutes.

Submit proof of your situation.

This includes documents like your ID, paystubs, or rent receipts. You can do this during your application or come back to this website any time in the next 30 days.

If your county has any questions, they will call you.

A worker may call if they need more information or clarification.

Get money for groceries.

If approved, you’ll get an EBT card with money for groceries within 30 days.

Applying for CalFresh

How quickly will I get benefits?

Your county has 30 days to approve or deny your case. Some people with very low income can get expedited services, and their cases should be processed in 3 days. Because of the pandemic, counties are receiving a higher volume of applications than normal. It may take longer than usual to hear back. If it’s been more than two weeks and you haven’t gotten any mail or phone calls from your county, or you want to contact your county office, you can find their phone number here.

I just lost my job – how does that affect my application for CalFresh?

You can definitely apply for CalFresh if you just lost your job. If your income recently stopped, your county will only count any final payments you got in the last 30 days to calculate how much CalFresh you will receive in the first month. If you still have any income, your ongoing benefits will be based only on that income, not income that has stopped. You should provide proof of any money you got in the last 30 days if you can.

It isn’t required, but it can be helpful to provide any proof you have that your income has stopped. This could be a letter, or a screenshot of an email or text from your employer that explains that you are no longer working. If you can’t get proof, write a letter that explains that you aren’t working. Make sure to include the last date you worked, and sign and date it.

If I still have a job but don’t have hours and am not getting paid, what do I put for my income?

If your income has decreased or stopped, you can upload proof of income for the last 30 days through If your income went up and you aren’t sure if you need to report changes, you can call your county to get more information. You can find their contact information here.

What do I need to know about CalFresh and unemployment benefits?

You can get CalFresh and unemployment benefits at the same time, as long as the amount of money you get from unemployment isn’t over the CalFresh income limits. You can start a CalFresh application and we’ll help you figure out if you’re over the limit. Getting CalFresh won’t affect how much money you get from unemployment.

If you applied for unemployment but haven’t gotten money from unemployment yet, you don’t have to report it on your CalFresh application. If you get CalFresh right now and have started receiving unemployment or the amount you get has changed, we recommend reaching out to your county CalFresh office to let them know about your income changes. They will give you next steps based on your situation.

What documents should I submit with my application?

The documents you need to submit depends on your situation. When you apply on, you will be given a list of recommended documents to submit. These documents are usually required to get CalFresh:

  • A copy of your ID
  • Proof of any income
  • Proof of immigration status (for non-citizens)
  • Proof of student status (for college students)

These documents are optional but can increase your benefit amount:

  • Proof of housing expenses
  • Proof of child support that you pay
  • Proof of child/dependent care that you pay for
  • If you are 60+ or disabled, proof of medical expenses.

If you can’t get proof, the CalFresh office will generally accept a written statement explaining your situation – make sure it is signed and dated. Submitting all of your documents with the application can help you skip the interview (through March 2023) and get approved more quickly.

I heard that the county office is closed – what should I expect?

Most county offices are now open, but you don’t have to go in person to the CalFresh office to get benefits. After you apply online, all of your communication with the county can be over the phone or through the mail. You can even have your EBT card mailed to you.

Using and Keeping CalFresh

Can I use my EBT card online?

Great news! You can use your EBT card to purchase groceries online at Amazon and Walmart. Visit Amazon or Walmart to learn more about how it works. Unfortunately, you can’t use CalFresh to pay for delivery. California is working to expand access to more grocery stores ⁠— check back for updates.

Do I need to tell the county if I recently moved?

You don’t need to report a change of address if you have temporarily moved due to the pandemic. If you know you will not return to your old address, you can call your county to let them know you have moved. You can find their contact information here.

How do I report changes to my income?

If your income has decreased or stopped, you can upload proof of income for the last 30 days through Your county will give you more information about when you have to report increases in income. If your income went up and you aren’t sure if you need to report changes, you can call your county to get more information.

Do I need to submit renewal reports such as the SAR 7?

Yes, Semi-Annual Reports (SAR 7s) for CalFresh must be submitted six months after your application. For example: Your SAR 7 would be due in June if you applied for CalFresh in January (unless everyone in your household is 60+ or disabled). If you have questions about when your SAR 7 is due, call your county office.

Extra money for food during the pandemic

Was there extra money for food during the pandemic?

Yes. Everyone who qualified for food benefits got at least $95 more during the pandemic. In April 2023, extra food benefits will end, but regular benefit amounts will continue. Learn more about CalFresh and the pandemic.

Can I still get extra pandemic money for food if I apply now?

No. Only people who applied before March 1st, 2023 qualify for extra pandemic money. You can still apply for CalFresh at any time to get money for food.

I’m getting CalFresh now. How will my benefits change?

Your regular food benefits will not stop. You will continue getting your regular benefits amount as long as you are eligible. Starting in April 2023, you will not get extra pandemic money.

Regular food money is the amount put on your EBT card the 1st and 10th day of the month. Extra pandemic money is the amount put on your EBT card at the end of the month.

How can I increase my regular benefit amount?

Report any increases of your household’s costs to your county:

  • Housing costs (like your rent or mortgage)
  • Medical expenses (only if someone is 60+ or has a disability). Reporting total expenses over $35 may qualify you for a higher benefit amount.
  • Childcare or other dependent costs

I have children. Can I get extra money for food?

If you apply for benefits and have an eligible child, you may get extra money for food. Find out if your child is eligible for Pandemic-EBT (P-EBT).