The 2024 Ashesi Undergraduate Admissions season is open! We are accepting applications for the Ashesi class of 2028. This year, applicants have two new majors to explore ( Economics and BSc Mechatronics Engineering).
Ashesi is a community that thrives on the contributions of its people – especially students and alumni. Our admissions process, therefore, looks for students who will not only make the best of Ashesi’s educational experience, but will also be committed to strengthening it.
The Importance of Academic Ability
As a university, students we admit must be able to handle the rigour of Ashesi’s academic work. Our admissions committee therefore places high importance on proof of academic ability – your high school transcripts, examination results, among others. Under Ghana’s accreditation requirements, students who apply to any university in the country must have a minimum grade of C6 or its equivalent, to be considered eligible. You can learn more about our academic requirements below.
We Care About Your Character – A Lot!
A lot of students who apply to Ashesi qualify to be admitted; this means that the application process is very competitive. In order for an application to stand out, prospective students must place an emphasis on sharing information with us that highlights their character and personality. Did you actively play any sport in high school? Were you a member of the debate club? Did you do some work when you were not in school? Applicants must share as much of these experiences with us as possible. Unlike other universities, applicants will find that academic ability is not the only factor considered in admitting a student. You must therefore make it a point to let us know who you are, outside of the classroom.
Other Key Characteristics We Consider
- Student ambition, and an openness to engage the unfamiliar.
- A demonstrated interest in engaging outside the classroom.
- Desire to help others and contribute to solving problems.
- Willingness to engage opportunities and help create them.
Deadlines Open or Close
Early: April 27th, 2024
Regular: July 27th, 2024
Final: August 27th, 2024
Basic Requirements Open or Close
1. Completed application form, including personal essays.
2. High School transcripts or report cards for at least six terms.
3. One of the following examination results is required:
- West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE); Six subjects are used to calculate your standard WASSCE score: Integrated Science, Core Math, Core English and three electives. A minimum grade of C6 in each subject is required to apply.
- Six IGCSE (G.C.E. O-Level) passes including Mathematics, English, and Science are required together with at least three ‘A’ Level passes (with grade A-D)
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
- American / Canadian High School Diploma
- French Baccalaureate (a certified copy of the original score and a certified translated copy in English)
- Other equivalent exam results approved by the Ghana Tertiary Education Commission.
International Students Open or Close
In addition to meeting the standard admissions requirements, applications from international students must meet the following requirements:
- Certified Translation: Transcripts or other supporting documents submitted by international applicants in a language other than English must be translated and certified as copies of the original document(s).
- Evidence of English Language proficiency: International students for who English was not a language of instruction during high school, must submit evidence of English language proficiency, including but not limited to the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Engineering Students Open or Close
- West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination (WASSCE): Three core subjects including Mathematics, English and Science, and three elective subjects including Elective Mathematics and Physics, with a C6 or better in each of them.
- A-Level: Three A-Level passes (A-D) including Mathematics and Physics, and six IGCSE (G.C.E. O-Level) passes including Mathematics, English, and Science are required for admission to Ashesi. A grade of D or better in Further Mathematics instead of Mathematics is also acceptable for entry as a prospective engineering major.
- International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma: For prospective engineering students, Mathematics SL with a 5 or better, or Mathematics HL with a 3 or better is acceptable to fulfil the entry mathematics requirement; similarly, Physics SL with a 5 or better, or Physics HL with a 3 or better is acceptable to fulfil the entry physics requirement. However, Mathematics HL and Physics HL are expected to be a competitive engineering applicant.
Transfer Students Open or Close
Starting in 2018, we accept applications from students who are interested in transferring to Ashesi from other universities. Transfer student applications will be processed on a case by case basis by our admissions office and academic departments, and students who are admitted may be eligible to have one year of study waived at Ashesi. In order to secure admission, candidates looking to transfer must provide official transcripts from each college or university attended. It is your responsibility to ensure that Ashesi has received an official transcript from each institution attended in order to complete your application.