Deadline: 11:59pm PST on 12/31/2022.
BLX Internship Program 2023
The BLX Internship Program provides an entryway into the profession for aspiring Black and Latinx financial planners by matching them with fee-only financial planning firms.
“The BLX internship was an incredible experience for me from beginning to end.” Tipiwa Walker, Intern Wescott Financial
- Paid internships ($20/hr minimum with at least 15 hours of work per week for at least 8 weeks)
- Work experience at a fee-only financial planning firm that counts towards the CFP® experience requirement
- Exclusive access to career development webinars, software training, and certification programs
- Exclusive scholarship opportunities
- Online community to collaborate with other BLX interns
- BLX swag
This summer internship program is open to both students and career changers. In order to participate in this program, you must identify as Black or Latinx, be eligible to work in the US without company sponsorship and pass a background check. You must also be available to work at least 15 hours a week for 8-12 weeks.
If you are a student, you must have:
1) Completed your Sophomore year in college by the Summer of 2022 (entering your Junior or Senior year in Fall 2023)
2) A cumulative Grade Point Average of 3.0 or higher
3) A major, or career interest, in business, finance, accounting, economics, or financial planning. CFP Board registered programs are preferred but majors in relevant fields will be considered. CFP coursework or relevant experience is preferred for graduate students and career changers.
You will be asked to supply personal, educational, employment, and some additional information. Completing an application does not guarantee an internship placement.
Please Note: Before starting this application it is recommended that you prepare a professional resume and have an unofficial copy of your college transcript (if applicable). These documents must be submitted with your application.
The application deadline is 11:59pm PST on 12/31/2022. You will receive a copy of your completed application after submitting and we will contact you regarding next steps. If you have questions, please check out our FAQ page (blxinternship.org/intern-faq) or send us an email at [email protected].
The financial planning profession is woefully underrepresented in racial and ethnic diversity. Our goal is to provide aspiring Black and Latinx financial planners an entry point into the profession. In addition, we understand that many firms have a difficult time sourcing diverse talent and don’t know where to look. Thus, we strive to provide a service to bridge these gaps.
We believe that the secret to any successful relationship is to have clear expectations from the start. We ask that you read the tenants that we operate by, what you can expect from us, and what we can expect from you.
- A successful internship placement requires a time commitment from you as well as from us.
- Good communication is critical for a mutually beneficial relationship.
- We employ a systematic approach to achieve thoroughness and efficiency in providing our internship matching services.
- We enjoy working with motivated people who are interested in a career in financial planning and appreciate a collaborative process.
- We believe that everyone who aspires to be a financial planner should have an opportunity to pursue this career, regardless of their race.
WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT FROM US:
- We will take time to interview you to understand your unique skills and talents.
- We will follow up with you in a timely manner.
- We will provide support along the way as you interview with firms, are hired, onboarded, and work during the summer.
- We will provide coaching to you so you are well prepared for your interviews. To get the most out of our – coaching, you will need to be proactive, engaged and be open to constructive feedback.
- We will provide training sessions before and during the internship to prepare and develop you for a successful internship with your firm.
- We will provide resources to help you prepare for a career in financial planning.
- We will be available throughout this process to offer support if any issue arises with your internship.