DHET 2023 Study Opportunities at Community Education and Training Colleges (CET) South Africa
There are 9 Community Colleges (one in each province) with 1,791 Community Learning Centres and Satellite Centres for teaching, learning and training. The following are Community Colleges learning and training opportunities for youth and adults:
• Literacy and numeracy programmes targeting those who have never had an education opportunity or did not complete their schooling. These programmes are part of the General Education and Training Certificate: Adult Basic Education and Training (GETC: ABET) qualification at NQF Level 1 or equivalent to Grade 9 in schools.
The following are some of the interesting learning areas that a student can choose from:
- Ancillary Health Care;
- Early Childhood Development;
- Small Medium & Micro Enterprises;
- Travel and Tourism; and
- Wholesale and Retail.
• The Senior Certificate (amended) and Second Chance Matric Programme are offered in partnership with the Department of Basic Education, aimed at those who wish to complete or improve their Matric.
• Skills, occupational and non-formal programmes (the following are some of the programmes offered in 2023:
- Early Childhood Development
- End User Computer
- Welding and many others.
• From 2023 Community Colleges will offer the following additional new programmes as a result of the R200 million NSF funding committed through the inaugural Ministerial CET Skills Summit: Beauty and Nail Technology, Cell Phone Repairs, Tyre Repair and Fitment, Electrical Engineering, House Builder, Community Health Work, Carpentry, Solar Geyser Installation and Maintenance and many others.
• The majority of skills programmes are offered at NQF Levels 1 to 3 and a few at NQF Level 4. Community Colleges opened on 11 January 2023 for inland provinces and on 18 January 2023 for coastal provinces.
Please visit DHET website www.dhet.gov.za and on the landing page you will find a full list of Community Colleges and details of a Centre near you.