Digital Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities -UNESCO/Emir Jaber Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah
Applications are open for the UNESCO/Emir Jaber Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah Prize 2020 for Digital Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities. The prize aims to recognize the outstanding contributions of individuals and organizations in promoting the inclusion; and enhancing the lives of persons with disabilities through the application of digital solutions, resources and technologies.
In line with UNESCO’s strategic objectives and especially the Major Programme Communication and Information, this includes translating human rights and fundamental freedoms into action, with a particular emphasis on removing barriers to enable greater access to information and knowledge, as well as learning and participation in society through the effective application of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs).
The Prize builds on three thematic axes of importance in UNESCO’s work with persons with disabilities, including an immediate response to the COVID-19 outbreak:
- Formulating policy, advocacy, co-operation and partnerships;
- Creating and developing digital solutions, enabling environments and processes, including tools and resources;
- Building and strengthening the capacities of people to create, adapt and use digital solutions in a cost efficient and sustainable manner.
- The total amount available for the Prize biennially is USD $40,000, which will be distributed equally between the individual and the organizational winner.
- UNESCO will publicize the Prize winners, and will seek to work with them to enhance and promote their continued activities in the field of the digital empowerment of persons with disabilities.
- Open to individuals (applying either individually, or representing a group of people) or organizations (an institution, non-governmental organization or other public or private entity).
- Individuals and organizations applying for the Prize must have been active in the field for a minimum of five years, and have proven results from their efforts and activities.
- Previous recipients of the UNESCO/Emir Jaber Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah Prize for Digital Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, or the UNESCO/Emir Jaber al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah Prize to Promote Quality Education for Persons with Intellectual Disabilities are not eligible to apply.
- Only one application may be submitted by any one individual, or by an organization, considered to include all of its parts.
- All applications must be submitted in the English or French languages and on the application form specified.
In order to participate, all applications must be endorsed by the Government of a Member State in consultation with its National Commission for UNESCO. The relevant non-governmental organizations maintaining official partnerships with UNESCO could also endorse applications.
Therefore, Member States need to submit a written recommendation in support of the candidate’s project. Self-endorsements cannot be considered.
Below, a brief information required for the completion of the template:
- A description of the candidate’s background and achievements;
- A summary of the work or the results of the work, publications and other supporting documents of major importance, submitted for consideration;
- A definition of the candidate’s contribution to the Prize’s objectives.
For more information: Visit UNESCO/Emir Jaber Al Ahmad Al Jaber Al Sabah Prize.