- South African citizenship;
- Letter of provisional acceptance / letter of admission from the institution; Not older than forty (40) years;
- Outstanding satisfactory academic performance (academic progress report if already at an institution) or (Grade 12 if you are a 1st year student);
- Field of study (heritage related)
- Not employed full time by government, state agencies or private sector with a salary of more than R350 000.
- Students who are beneficiaries of other bursaries or donors for the 2024 academic year will only be considered if tuition fee at the said university or institution exceeds the DSAC’s threshold by at least 10% upwards.
Fields of study
- Anthropology (exclusively with a focus on forensic / medical anthropology)
- Archaeology (exclusively with a focus on marine and underwater cultural heritage, and forensic)
- Archives and Records management
- Conservation of the built environment including preventive conservation (this includes only a field of study and not a course/subject of study) Collections (cultural & natural) management (excluding Nature Conservation)
- Museum Studies or Management and Curatorship
- IKS or Courses that contribute to the preservation and promotion of Indigenous Knowledge Systems (IKS) and S.A. Living Heritage
- Fine Arts
- Digital heritage
VALUE OF THE BURSARY
- The maximum value of the bursary is R110 000 per student.
- Study fees: The total amount of study fees will be covered.
- Books: The total amount of prescribed books will be covered.
- Electronic devices not costing more than R10 000. This will be paid according to receipt/invoices of three quotations.
- Accommodation: R 50 000 maximum amount (NB where applicable)
- Meals: R 18 500 maximum amount (NB where applicable)
- Transportation: R10 000 maximum amount (NB where applicable)
- NB: Funds are payable directly to the higher institution of learning
Before you apply for the Heritage Bursary, please reflect on the following questions:
- Have you provisionally/been admitted to study in the 2024 academic year?
- Does your qualification fall within the fields of study highlighted above?
Eligible students are encouraged to apply for the Heritage Bursary using this link
All prospective students who wishes to apply for the Heritage Bursary are advised to scan all the documents required so that they can upload them at the time of applying.
Enquiries regarding the bursary applications should be directed to Ms Reinette Stander at telephone: 083 469 2931 or by email to [email protected]; or to Mr Maano Muhadi at telephone: (012) 441-3622 or by e-mail to [email protected]
Closing date for applications is 28 February 2024.