Are you passionate about gender equality?
Are you interested in advancing the rights of adolescents and young people?
Title: Gender Officer
Organization Unit: Programs
Reports to: Team Leader – Advocacy and Policy Influencing
Based at: Abuja (HQ)
Education as a Vaccine (EVA) is a youth-led, youth-focused non-profit organization created to work in partnership with children, adolescents and young people to advance their rights to health and protect them from all forms of violence by strengthening their capacities, providing direct services and influencing policies for improved quality of life.
The Gender Officer (GO) will work directly with the Team lead of Advocacy and Policy Influencing Department to support the integration of a gender perspective to new and existing EVA projects and work to ensure that gender is mainstreamed and strengthened in programs. The GO will liaise with counterparts and teams within the HQ office and at other field offices for coordination and carry out job responsibilities. The GO will also supervise program assistants and volunteers working with under the jurisdiction of the Advocacy and Policy Influencing Team.
Time Requirements: Full time with a minimum of 45 hours per week.
Key Task and Responsibilities:
· Provide guidance and advice to the programs management team on technical issues of gender mainstreaming and related advocacy in projects
· Network and maintain a dialogue with relevant stakeholders e.g. Government Institutions, National and International Development Organizations to ensure collaboration and synergy on projects and sharing of experiences on gender issues.
· Lead assessment and research activities at the community level to gather information and analysis on gender and advocacy issues.
· Contribute to the preparation of quarterly and annual project work plans
Track progress and provide data on gender and advocacy issues relevant to EVA projects
· Develop a plan with the Advocacy and Policy Influencing Team to create awareness on implementing documentation and sharing lessons on gender issues.
· Coordinate and attend training workshops for self, relevant stakeholders, staff and key actors on gender-related topics including identifying training needs and organize training on gender mainstreaming for the organization, target communities, beneficiaries and stakeholders.
· Support the media and communications team in preparation and dissemination of information related to gender and women empowerment.
· Support the monitoring, evaluation and reporting on gender mainstreaming by ensuring the collection of relevant baseline information and formulation of indicators that are sensitive to gender.
· Assist with other team and organizational activities as may be required.
Degree in Gender and Development Studies, Social Sciences, or any related field.
Minimum of 2 years of relevant work experience in gender, advocacy, and women empowerment issues.
Skills & Experience
Fluency in written and spoken English
Excellent analysis and communication skills
Good networking and alliance building skills
Demonstrated experience of providing capacity building to local partners and beneficiaries on gender issues;
Able to work under time pressure and long hours whenever required;
A high level of social-cultural sensitivity when dealing with colleagues, partners and beneficiaries.
Excellent interpersonal skills, including diplomacy and tact, in order to be able to liaise effectively; with a range of stakeholders, including NGO partners, community leaders, beneficiaries, key population and government officials;
The ability for creative problem solving and innovation in complex and /or restrictive working environments
User-level computer literacy (Office Package, Outlook, etc.)
Willingness to travel
Experience working with Non-Governmental Organization (NGO) and Humanitarian context
Experience in Gender Programming
Deep understanding of guiding legal frameworks and principles of gender equality issues in Nigeria.
For more Information: Visit the website for EvanNigeria Gender Officer Recruitment