Deadline: September 30th 2020
Edward O. Wilson Biodiversity Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2021 for Global Researchers
Through a generous founding gift from Edward O. Wilson, Faculty-Curator Emeritus and University Research Professor Emeritus, and with support from additional donors, the Museum of Comparative Zoology (MCZ) at Harvard University has established the E.O. Wilson Postdoctoral Fellowship Program.
This program supports postdoctoral researchers at MCZ to pursue the discovery and formal taxonomic description of Earth’s animal species. Fellows will work under the supervision of one or more MCZ faculty-curators, who will provide office space, access to lab facilities and necessary research support. The program aims to achieve broad taxonomic coverage and is not restricted to any particular taxon. At this time, selection of fellows will give priority to candidates who work on living species.
Edward Wilson Postdoctoral Fellowship Eligibility
- A Ph.D. with relevant research experience in taxonomy and/or systematics is required.
- All formal requirements for the doctoral degree must be completed before the start of the fellowship, though degree receipt may be forthcoming.
- The EOW fellowship program is open to both U.S. and non-U.S. citizens.
- Where appropriate, proposed research should utilize an integrative approach that combines several data types in crafting solutions to taxonomic problems.
- Applicants need to identify at least one faculty-curator who has agreed to supervise the fellowship.
Applications will be reviewed by a committee of Harvard faculty. The likelihood that the proposed work will result in the discovery and formal taxonomic description of animal species will be a critical consideration in the selection process. Preference will be given to applicants not currently affiliated with Harvard University, and to those who have received their doctoral degree within the previous three years.
Terms & Conditions
- Stipend of $55,000/year
- Research and travel allowance of $4,000/year
- Start date flexible, but within 12 months of extended fellowship offer
- Maximum two-year appointment, with funding for year 2 contingent upon successful performance during year 1
- Residence in the Cambridge area is required
- Relocation allowance negotiable after fellowship awarded
Edward Wilson Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2021 Application Components
- A cover letter no longer than one page.
- A research proposal, no longer than four pages and single-spaced, should describe:
- the nature and scope of the proposed research project;
- the approach and methods to be employed;
- how existing MCZ collections would be utilized and augmented with new specimens;
- laboratory and equipment requirements;
- the proposed MCZ faculty-curator sponsor, and
- likely products (publications, etc.) to be completed by the end of the fellowship period.
- Research budget: Include a simple, one-page budget that itemizes anticipated research and travel costs, not to exceed the fellowship allowance.
- A curriculum vitae no longer than three pages.
- Up to five pertinent publications.
- Three letters of recommendation from non-Harvard scientists. Include names and contact information of the three referees with the application. The letters will be submitted separately from the application through an online system (see below) but are due by the application deadline. The application is complete only when all three letters are received.
- Interview: A subset of applicants may be asked to further discuss their proposals with the selection committee via videoconference.
- Submission through Harvard Academic Recruiting Information eSystem (ARieS).
For more Information: Visit the webpage for Edward O. Wilson Postdoctoral Fellowship Program