Open Africa Power is an education venture initiated by Enel Foundation in 2018 in partnership with top Academic institutions in Italy and Africa, aiming to forge a new generation of African leaders deeply engaged with their country’s clean energy future.
The Open Africa Power Program provides with a holistic knowhow of the electricity sector, enhancing the technical, regulatory and business skills required to work in the private and public sector towards the electrification of Africa.
The 2020 edition will engage up to 60 African students and alumni in a series of professional development and leadership activities, comprising residential modules in South Africa and Italy.
• Online Module and Exams
The online module Regulation for Universal Access to Energy will start on January 13th
and will end on May 18th. This course will enable the learners to gain a comprehensive
vision on how to design appropriate policy and regulatory framework needed to ensure
sustainable energy for all.
African Module: State of the Art
This five-day module will occur between 10th to 14th February 2020. It will take place in
South Africa at the Graduate School of Business within the University of Cape Town. The
module will explore the fundamentals of the global electricity sector through the lenses of
sustainable development goals. It will cover the following areas:
o Networks technology, regulation, economics;
o Renewables technology, regulation, economics;
o ICT digitalization of the electricity industry
The faculty will consist of local and international experts both from academia and industry.
Following the African Module, participants will be asked to put forward a research abstract
on a specific aspect/solution for the electricity sector that can become a key element in the
race from poverty to prosperity for the entire Continent or for a specific African country.
The top twenty per cent participants of the course, based on valuation of their abstract, class interactions and successful completion of online course, will be invited to attend the Italian module.
• Italian Module: New Frontiers
Lasting two weeks in July 2020, this module will take place in Italy. Participants will explore
the new frontiers of the electricity sector, sharing knowledge and experience first-hand
innovation. They will be called to actively interact with prestigious academic partners and
research representatives, meet with government, business, and non-profit leaders; engage
in a dialogue around issues of Africa’s clean energy future; and visit sites where innovative
technologies are a reality in the electricity space.
• Give Back Module
Upon completion of the Italian module, alumni will be involved in teaching activities related
to Enel Foundation education initiatives in Africa
The Open Africa Power selection process is an open, merit-based, competition. The application
period opens on 1st October, 2019, and closes on 31st October, 2019.
To be eligible, candidates must meet the following criteria:
• Be between the ages of 24 and 35 by 13th January, 2020;
• Be a citizen of an African country;
• Currently resident in an African country or planning to relocate in Africa within the end
• Be eligible to travel to South Africa and Italy. Depending on your country of residence, your passport must be valid for one to three months AFTER the date of departure from South Africa, in order to be eligible for a visa (e.g. 15th March or 15th May 2020). All candidates are invited to check well in advance the procedure applicable to their specific case;
• Having graduated from or being a student (having an admission letter is also acceptable) of a PhD, MSc, LLM, MPP or MBA degree. Undergraduate students or people who are not
at least enrolled in a master’s degree are not eligible for this program. One of the two
degrees (Bachelor or Masters) must be from an African University;
• Have competences and a demonstrated interest to pursue a career – in private or public
sector – in the electricity space at large;
• Be fully proficient in English.
How to Apply
Applications are to be filed through our dedicated platform exclusively.
Applicants must provide:
• A copy of their CV;
• Copy of their Bachelors and Masters degree certificates AND academic transcripts;
• A copy of their Passport;
• A motivation letter;
• Three reference letters from industry, academia and/or civil servant representatives.
Submit your applications via the dedicated online platform using the verification code (OAP20CFA)