A traineeship of up to 6 months within the Political, Press and Information Section of the EU Delegation to the Republic of South Africa, starting in June 2023.
The traineeship will be based in the Political, Press and Information Section. It will contribute to the Delegation’s work on EU – South Africa relations in the respective thematic field. The trainee will also work together with colleagues in the other Sections of the EU Delegation, as relevant and appropriate.
- Analyse the current and foreseen dynamics of EU/South Africa partnership.
- Monitor political developments in SA and SA foreign affairs, and contribute to drafting political reports under the guidance of the staff of the section.
- Conduct short-term and longer-term research on specific issues of interest in the fields of foreign affairs, domestic political affairs, human rights.
- Collate information on EU legislation and politics of relevance to SA for dissemination to the wider public.
- Attend and report on public events, seminars and conferences.
- Administrative support to public diplomacy events, visits organized by the Delegation, and visits from Headquarters.
- Support social media efforts of the delegation and section by proposing and drafting social media posts.
- Support the section in coordination with EU Member States, including by preparing and reporting on meetings held with EU counsellors.
- Support the EU Delegations alumni efforts by following up on the EU Alumni strategy and making recommendations, and management of alumni platform (updating content etc.) and database.
We look for:
Qualifications or special requirements:
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Law, Social Studies, Politics, Economics or similar subject.
- Excellent English, written and spoken.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Commitment and ability to complete tasks within set deadlines.
- Motivation to learn and contribute to the activities of the EU Delegation.
Additional qualifications that would be an asset:
- Additional degree in another field
- Ability to communicate efficiently in multiple languages (South Africa official languages, EU official languages).
How to apply
Candidates must apply to the e-mail address [email protected] and send the following documents:
- A detailed standard Europass curriculum vitae (CV) https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/ (CVs in other format will not be considered)
- a cover letter describing why you want to participate in a EU traineeship
- and an application form
Please mention in the subject of your e-mail: Funded Traineeship – Name/P&I Section – EU Delegation to South Africa
Important information to read before applying
Before applying you are requested to examine the dedicated website as well as the general eligibility criteria for a paid traineeship (Article 8 of the Decision ADMIN(2017)28 – Paid traineeship)
Each selected trainee will receive a monthly grant to cover living expenses. All costs related to travels, visa, insurance, accommodation must be borne by the trainee.
Applications from non-eligible candidates will not be considered. After the evaluation of all applications, shortlisted candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. Unsuccessful candidates will be notified by email. In case the selected candidate is not able to present the required documents, his/her candidacy will be rejected.
The traineeships can only be offered in compliance with the local legislation as well as the legislation of the country of origin.
Citizens from EU Member states:
- must provide proof that they will be covered against the risk of a pandemic and the costs of repatriation;
- must undertake to apply for a relevant entrance visa and / or temporary residence permit where applicable, based on the traineeship agreement, the duration of the traineeship, and in compliance with the local legislation.
The Delegation informs that even if our Headquarters confirm the eligibility of the selected candidate, traineeships could be postponed, suspended or even cancelled considering the context of the COVID-19 in the host country as well as in the country of origin where applicable.
For more Information: Visit the website for EU Delegation to South Africa Funded Traineeship 2023 for Young Graduates