European Disability Forum (EDF) Photo Competition 2022
The 2022 edition of the European Photography Competition “Shining a light on young persons with disabilities” is now open. The deadline to submit your entry is 30 November.
This competition aims to raise awareness in society through photography, showing how young people with disabilities live their life and are included (or excluded) in society. We are looking for images that offer a perspective and portray young persons with disabilities as protagonists in their daily life.
Young people with disabilities are rarely featured in media coverage, leaving them behind. This is one of the reasons why a significant number of influencers have emerged. They want to show the world what it is like to be a young person with a disability today and raise awareness of the challenges and inequities that are happening around them. They have the same right to study, travel, work, practise sport, experience culture, etc and yet they have to overcome great difficulties to enjoy a fulfilling life.
Are you a young person with a disability? Or do you know someone? Take your camera out! Whether you are a young person with disabilities or not, we encourage you to participate.
Show us how young persons with disabilities are living their lives!
How do you enter?
- Please read carefully all the conditions and documents required to participate in the competition.
- The entries can be submitted by emailing them to Natalia Suarez, EDF Communication Officer ([email protected]).
- All submissions are due on the 30th of November 2022, 23.59 CET.
Who can apply for European Disability Forum (EDF) Photo Competition 2022
- EU/EEA citizens or residents from all ages and there is no entry fee. Participation is individual, not as an organisation.
What can you submit?
All participants must submit the following three:
- One original single high-resolution photo (300dpi) with image description or one original single artistic representation (comics and drawings) with image description telling the story
Allowed: editing, filters, camera built-in effects.
Not allowed: Collages (more than one photo), watermarks, text, or other elements added to the photo.
- A short description in English including the author’s name, and the city and country where the photo was taken.
- A signed copy of the Rights Authorization. Two signatures are needed, one from the person who took the picture and one from the person(s) appearing IN the picture. Participants taking a photograph of children, ensure that they obtain and provide us with the written consent of that child’s parents/guardian.
Photo Competition 2022 – Rights Authorization
How will the photos/ materials be selected?
All photos and artistic representation are checked to make sure that they meet the competition rules before being accepted and shortlisted. Once a photo or artistic representation has been reviewed, participants will receive an email with notification of whether it has been accepted or rejected. All pictures may be included in an album on EDF’s Facebook page and EDF social media channels.
The jury will be composed by two members of the EDF Board Committee, two members of the staff, as well as two art professionals. The entries will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Quality of the picture
- Relevance to the theme
Entries that are offensive, defamatory or obscene, or that disclose unnecessary personal information will also be rejected from the competition.
Selection of winners
There will be a selection of 20 finalists which will be exhibited online and in social media. The winner’s name will be revealed after the 30th of November. The jury’s decision is final, and no correspondence will be entered in on its decision. At the end of the jury selection period, the 20 finalists will be notified by email.
European Disability Forum (EDF) Photo Competition 2022 Prizes
The three final nominees will receive:
- 1st place award: 500 euros
- 2nd place award: 300 euros
- 3rd place award: 200 euros
Acceptance of Competition Rules
By entering the competition, the participants agree to be bound by the Competition Rules, including acceptance of granting copyright to EDF.
Fairness and respect are the basis of the competition. Any participant reasonably suspected of cheating, will be disqualified from the competition and their entries removed. No correspondence will be entered in on this matter.
- Photo Competition 2022 – Terms and Conditions
- Photo Competition 2022 – Rules and Authorisation
- Photo Competition 2022 – Rights Authorization