A journalism and photojournalism competition, the GEO Scholarship is aimed at young talents aged 18 to 30. From October 25, 2023 and until January 19, 2024, participants can submit their application file – a curriculum vitae accompanied by a cover letter and the synopsis of a reporting project (accompanied by a portfolio in the case of a photographer) – to the GEO editorial staff, via the GEO Stock Exchange page on the geo.fr website.
The jury – which brings together the editor-in-chief and representatives of the editorial staff of GEO, as well as major reporters – will study in February the projects that fall within the editorial line of the title. That is to say dealing in particular with the discovery of new territories, the environment, different cultures and societies, and are most likely to enrich readers… The project which wins the most votes wins the Stock Exchange.
The GEO Scholarship, a unique opportunity for a young reporter
The winner obtains funding of 5,000 euros allowing him to produce his report. The GEO editorial team adds an experienced journalist or photographer teammate (depending on need), with a view to publishing the subject in the magazine and on the GEO website.
Before leaving for the field, the winner benefits from briefings with the editorial team, to help them better adapt their work to magazine writing and that of GEO, accompanied by concrete advice on the organization and logistics of the report. .
At any time, he can request the assistance of a seasoned journalist from the editorial team, who follows the project from start to finish as GEO does with its collaborators. During the production of the report, the winner also benefits from insurance provided by Prisma Media.
The 7 steps to follow to participate in the GEO Stock Exchange
1. Submit your project to the GEO editorial team, in the form of an application file including:
- – 1 CV (1 page maximum)
- – 1 cover letter (1 page maximum)
- – 1 synopsis of the subject.
2. The subjects which will be examined by the selection committee are all those which fall into the usual territory of GEO: discovery of new territories, environment, peoples and societies, geopolitics…
3. Once the files are received, the selection committee, led by the editor-in-chief of GEO, will carry out an initial sorting based on the files. Among those which will be highest rated, the selection committee will select the projects which best suit GEO’s editorial line and the information of its readers. These will subsequently be proposed to the jury, who will choose the best.
4. The winner will be invited to carry out briefings with the editorial staff before embarking on the execution of their project. He will work his angle with a GEO department head and/or the photo department. He will thus be able to benefit from the field experience of a reporter seasoned in GEO’s methods and working conditions. On his return, he will participate in a “debrief” before starting to write his article or work on photo selection.
5. Applications can be received until January 19, 2024 at 11:59 p.m. They must be submitted via this form
6. The name of the winner will be announced in our April 2024 issue.
7. Production of the story in the field will take place during 2024. The story will be published in GEO in the months following the report.
The key dates of the GEO Stock Exchange:
– October 25, 2023 : Launch of the call for applications
– January 19, 2024 : Deadline for sending applications
– February 2024 : deliberation of the jury composed of part of the GEO editorial staff and major reporters.
– April 2024 : Prize presentation evening to the winner and publication of the April GEO announcing the name of the winner.
– During the following months : preparation of the report with the GEO editorial team, production of the subject in the field then publication as soon as possible.
To participate, take place in the space dedicated to the GEO Stock Exchange