Headlands Center for the Arts 2024 Design Fellow (DF) Resident Program – Headlands Center for the Arts is seeking applications from Bay Area designers for its 2024 Design Fellow (DF) Program. Working closely with Headlands’ Director of Communications & Digital, the DF has the opportunity to set the tone for a year’s worth of external communications and is responsible for designing the majority of the organization’s graphic collateral, including: exhibition announcements, special event invitations, and informational tools in digital format.
The DF Program is a live-out program, and requires the DF to work remotely and with their own tools and software.
The DF Program is designed to create a cohesive and dynamic aesthetic through the development of a unique body of work over the course of the year. The majority of the work will require the DF to create original work, or to mobilize the pre-existing brand in a new way.
The program provides an opportunity for a designer to build their portfolio through a long-term relationship with a unique, reputable contemporary arts organization. Like all of Headlands’ Artist Programs, the DF Program supports practitioners working at the leading edge of their field—individuals who are interested in pushing boundaries and exploring the possibilities of their medium. The DF is also provided with the opportunity to pursue an independent project of their choosing, incorporating an opportunity for public presentation.
The project may explore a wide range of topics and media, and will be self-directed with consultation and support from Headlands staff.
About Headlands Brand
Headlands’ brand orchestrates lush visual images and strong typography to hit a multitude of organizational notes, including: the experience of artists on-site and in the studio; discourse and engagement at public events, workshops, exhibitions, and dinners; and the physical uniqueness of our historic campus as it is situated within the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
Scope of Work
• 4 identity systems including web, social media, video, and other digital assets, for events, programs or series, such as:
◻ large-scale public or member event
◻ Project Space series
◻ public exhibition
◻ lecture/panel series
◻ fund-raising campaign
• Optional independent project
• Expectation to engage with a public presentation via Open House or other Headlands program
Expectations & Qualifications
• Open to dialogue, feedback, and working with a team
• Willingness to experiment and learn
• Practices good communication within small, busy, and flexible work environment
• Follows agreed upon work-plan and adheres to deadlines
• Desire to work with a contemporary arts organization
Skills & Abilities
• Demonstrated interest in pushing boundaries within the field
• Competent in digital production
• Able to demonstrate:
◻ digital production experience including website and email templates
◻ experience working with web developers
◻ experience working to meet client needs
• Experience working within predetermined budgets, and exercising creativity in constraint
• Ease in working with remote collaborators, cross-departmentally
• Stipend: $10,500 (paid in three installments over 2024)
• Up to $1,000 budget for independent project
• Opportunity to grow professional portfolio within a creative community
• Opportunity to participate in internal programs, such as Show & Tell nights with fellow Headlands Artists
• Opportunity to stay in residence on the Headlands campus (with pre-approval; two one-week stays over residency period)
Application Deadline: October 30, 2023
Notification Date: December 5, 2023
Program Dates: January 8 – December 31, 2024
Headlands Center for the Arts 2024 Design Fellow (DF) Resident Program Applications Materials
Please compile the following into a single PDF, and deliver digitally by email:
• Portfolio including but not limited to:
◻ 3-5 digital/online projects (include reference image and links to projects)
◻ 1-3 print pieces (photo documentation)
◻ Link to Website/Online Portfolio
◻ Note: Examples of student work are welcome. However, please differentiate student work, personal projects, and client work in the context of your portfolio.
• 2 References (name and contact info only)
• Brief cover letter explaining your interest in the DF Program at Headlands Collate digital application materials as a single PDF. Include subject line “Designer in Residence, YOUR NAME,” and email by October 30, 2023, to: [email protected]
Headlands Center for the Arts 2024 Design Fellow (DF) Resident Program Selection Process
• Headlands’ staff reviews applications to ensure completion and eligibility
• Applications are reviewed by a jury of staff and design professionals
• The jury evaluates each designer’s materials and selects finalists
• Finalists are invited to a Zoom interview to determine the final award selection