Deadline: December 2, 2022.
International Economic Development Council (IEDC) Equity in Economic Development Fellowship Program 2023
The International Economic Development Council (IEDC), with the goal of continuing to invest in and elevate the field of economic development, is pleased to announce the second cohort of the Equity in Economic Development Fellowship Program in the summer of 2023. IEDC is inviting applications from Economic Development Organizations (EDOs) to participate in this purposeful 8-week program to host Equity in Economic Development Fellows between June 5th and August 4th of 2023. The deadline for EDO applications is December 2, 2022.
As part of its ongoing commitment to advancing equity and closing disparities in the industry, IEDC launched the Equity in Economic Development Fellowship Program in 2022. The fellowship provided 6 diverse young people interested in economic development the opportunity to gain hands-on experience in the field, and to spend the summer working with a local EDO to advance substantive and impactful projects in their communities. IEDC hopes to provide 6 to 12 more diverse young people interested in the field of economic development with this opportunity for its second cohort in the summer of 2023.
Benefits of Hosting a Fellow
There are many benefits to hosting a Fellow for the IEDC Equity in Economic Development Fellowship Program! They include:
- Opportunity to play a pivotal role in increasing the diversity of the current and future economic development workforce.
- Opportunity for your team to benefit from different perspectives/world views about economic and community development.
- Contributing to the professional development of potential future economic development professionals and leaders.
- Benefitting from meaningful work of the Fellow.
- Benefitting from the experience of mentorship and providing this opportunity to your executive team and staff.
- Recognition for your EDO’s role in a press release about the program.
- Recognition for your EDO’s role at IEDC’s Annual Conference.
Objectives of the Fellowship Program include:
- Connecting diverse young people with opportunities and hands-on experiences in economic development with the hope of developing their long-term interest in the industry.
- Increasing the number of diverse young people in the economic development industry.
- Expanding the diversity of IEDC members, board members and economic development leaders.
- Addressing historic racial injustice and advancing social equity in the economic development industry.
How it works:
- IEDC selects 6-12 host EDOs.
- IEDC selects 6-12 Fellows.
- The Fellows and EDOs work together, with the support of IEDC, to prepare their work plan and visit.
- The Fellows spend 8 weeks working on-site with the EDO and their community.
- From September 17-20, 2023, the Fellows attend the IEDC Annual Conference to meet, present their experiences, and receive their program completion certificates.
- The Fellows will be supported throughout with opportunities for education through IEDC courses, webinars, and peer learning.
Host EDO Eligibility:
- Compensate the Fellow at between $4,320.00 – $5,520.00 or $18.00 – $23.00 per hour at a 30-hour work week for 8 weeks (rate dependent upon EDO location).
- Provide housing with a local host family or cover costs for accommodations in a student housing facility. Either path, accommodations will need to have access to public or private transportation (with a private bedroom and bathroom, access to a kitchen, and access to a laundry area).
- Offer round-trip transportation costs to and from the Fellow’s home residence to the host community (if not a local Fellow placement).
- Pay for hotel accommodations and travel to IEDC’s Annual Conference for the Fellow (IEDC will cover registration fees for the Annual Conference).
- Dedicate adequate staff and organizational resources to supervise, support and mentor the Fellow, including dedicating at least one staff member to provide mentorship and support.
- Remain available as a contact and resource for the Fellow after the fellowship concludes.
Applications open October 31 – December 2, 2022. EDOs will be notified of their selection by January 6, 2023. Applications and supporting work plans must be submitted via the or to (firstname.lastname@example.org).