KEMRI Internship Program (KIP) 2023 for Kenyans
The Kenya Medical Research Institute is committed to providing the youth with opportunities to acquire, sharpen their knowledge and gain technical/practical skills to complement their studies in order to enhance their employability in line with the Kenya Vision 2030.
The KEMRI Internship Program (KIP) seeks to develop a pool of young talent adequately exposed to working in the research industry. After the internship program, the candidates will have gained practical workplace experience to him/her have a competitive edge in the job market.
NIHR CLEAN-Air (Africa) is seeking to employ three (3) Field worker Interns to join our dynamic team focused on studying the complex interplay between air pollution, energy use, and human health.
Field Worker Interns; 3 positions
Job Ref: KEMRI/CRDR/CAA/INTERN/VAC/001
Hours of Work: Full Time
Opening date: 13.07.2023
Internship duration: 6 months
Supervisor: The Principle Investigator
The Interns will be trained on:
- Data collection for air pollution levels, emissions, and related environmental parameters using monitoring equipment and instruments.
- Conducting surveys and interviews with individuals, communities, and stakeholders to gather information on perceptions, behaviors, and impacts related to air pollution and energy systems.
- Conducting sample collection and analysis for air, soil, water, and other environmental
media for laboratory analysis and assist in analyzing the collected samples as per established protocols.
- Data management to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Equipment maintenance to ensure they are in good working condition and adhering to safety protocols.
- Data reporting of fieldwork findings, contributing to the overall research outputs and
Bachelors’ Degree or Diploma in Environmental Science, Statistics, Public Health,
Nutrition, Social Science, or a related field.
In addition, the applicants must:
- Be a Kenyan youth below 30 years of age
- Should have graduated and obtained the relevant final certificate
- Provide a Certificate of good conduct
- Should possess interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be goal oriented, dynamic, passionate and self-starter
- A person of integrity
- Should possess strong analytical skills
- Must be computer literate.
Terms of Engagement :
Appointment to the Internship program will be for a period of six months.
The successful candidate (s) will be paid a monthly stipend of Kes. 25,000 and a project allowance of Kes. 5,000
The Director General
Kenya Medical Research Institute
P.O. Box 54840-00200
Attn: Principal Investigator, Clean Air (Africa) Project
How To Apply
A copy of the application should be sent by email to: [email protected] not later than 2nd August, 2023.
For more details please visit: www.kemri.go.ke
The Kenya Medical Research Institute (KEMRI) is a State Corporation established in Kenya in 1979 through the Science and Technology (Repealed) Act, Cap 250 of the Laws of Kenya and as currently established and dully accredited to continue to operate as such under the Science Technology and Innovation Act, 2013 and currently under KEMRI Order 2021, as the national body responsible for carrying out research in human health in Kenya.
KEMRI’s vision is “to be a leading center of excellence in human health research” and its mission is “to
improve human health and quality of life through research, capacity building and service delivery”