ADVERTISEMENT – VACANT POSITION IN THE PUBLIC SERVICE-MINISTRY OF INFORMATION, COMMUNICATION AND THE DIGITAL ECONOMY STATE DEPARTMENT FOR BROADCASTING AND TELECOMMUNICATIONS
Applications are invited from qualified persons for the position shown below:
GOVERNMENT SPOKESPERSON – ONE (1) POST
- Basic Salary : Ksh. 292, 765 — 576,120 p.m
- House Allowance: Ksh. 100,000 p.m
- Entertainment Allowance: Ksh.100,000
- Extraneous Allowance: Ksh.100,000
- Domestic Servants Allowance: Ksh.100,000 Ksh.
- Leave Allowance: As existing in the Civil Service
- Annual Leave:30 working days per financial year
- Medical Cover: As provided by the government
- Terms of Service : Permanent or Local Agreement
CSG 3/JobGroup ‘U’
REQUIREMENTS FOR APPOINMENT
For appointment as Government Spokesperson, a candidate should:
- be a Citizen of Kenya;
- have served for a minimum period of fifteen (15) years as a media or communication practitioner, three (3) of which should be in the grade of Director, CSG 5/Job Group ‘S’ and above or in comparable and relevant position in the wider public service or private sector. have a Bachelors degree in any of the following fields: Public Relations, Journalism, Communications and Media Studies, Social Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a university recognised in Kenya.
- possess excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- demonstrate an indepth understanding of the National development goals, policies and objectives, including the Government’s transformation agenda;
- be fluent in both spoken and written English and Kiswahili;
- be a member of a relevant professional body and in good standing(where applicable).
- meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution on leadership and integrity; and demonstrate ability to think strategically and respond effectively to changing circumstances.
Note: Possession of a Masters degree in any of the following disciplines: Mass Communication, Communication Studies, Information Sciences, Public Relations, Journalism, Media Studies, Social Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a university recognized in Kenya will be considered as an added advantage.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Government Spokesperson is responsible to the Principal Secretary for communicating government policies, programmes, and initiatives to the public through media channels. The role requires the individual to at all times represent the Government in a positive and professional manner to the media and the public. The main duties of the Spokesperson include:
- propagating Government policies and initiatives by providing timely and accurate dissemination of information;
- creating synergy, partnerships and collaborations with creators and consumers of government information including the media fraternity;
- publicizing Government programmes and projects through media and community engagement;
- responding to inquiries from journalists and media outlets about Government actions and decisions;
- drafting and distributing official statements, press releases, and other communications materials;
- representing the Government at press conferences, media interviews, and other public events;
- monitoring news coverage and tracking public perceptions of Government policies and initiatives;
- collaborating with other Government agencies and departments to coordinate messaging and ensure con-sistent communication; and (ix) advising Government officials and decision-makers on public relations and media strategies.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested and qualified persons are requested to make their applications ONLINE through the Commission website: www.publicservice.go.ke or jobs portal: www.psckjobs.go.ke
- Applicants should provide all the details requested for in the advertisement. It is an offence to include incorrect information in the application. Details of academic and professional certificates not obtained by closure of the advert should not be included.
- Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
- The Public Service Commission is committed to implementing the provisions of the Constitution – Chapter 232 (1) on fair competition and merit, representation of Kenyans diverse communities and affording equal employment opportunities to men and women, members of all ethnic groups and persons with disabilities. THEREFORE, PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES, THE MARGINALIZED AND THE MINORITIES ARE ENCOUR-AGED TO APPLY.
- Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce originals of their National Identity Card, academic and professional certificates and transcripts during interviews.
- It is a criminal offence to present fake certificates/documents.
- Serving officers shall be required to produce the original letter of appointment to their current substantive post during the interview.
Applications should reach the Commission on or before 27th February, 2023 latest 5.00 pm (East African Time).