Deadline: January 23, 2023
Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF) Program 2023
The U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Mickey Leland Energy Fellowship (MLEF) Program is a 10-week summer research fellowship for undergraduate and graduate students in STEM majors. Participants complete a cutting-edge research project at one of the Department’s National Laboratories or DOE Headquarters in support of the Department’s mission to minimize the environmental impacts of energy resource recovery and use while working towards net-zero emissions.
The mission of the MLEF program is to strengthen a diverse pipeline of future STEM professionals, and this program has mentored nearly 1000 of the best and brightest students from across the nation for future careers in the STEM workforce. All eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.
As a MLEF participant, you will train under the mentorship of scientists and engineers while completing a mission-focused research project. During the 10-week appointment, you will receive a weekly stipend, and may be eligible for housing and travel allowances. You will also gain insight into how the Department of Energy is working toward an equitable and clean energy future.
Under the mentorship of DOE scientists and engineers, students will complete a cutting-edge research project at one of the Department’s National Laboratories or DOE Headquarters in support of the Department’s mission to minimize the environmental impacts of fossil fuels while working towards net-zero emissions.
The goal of the program is to improve opportunities for women and minority students in the STEM fields although all eligible candidates are encouraged to apply.
The summer program may place students at one of several possible sites including:
- U.S. Department of Energy Headquarters, Washington, D.C. and Germantown, MD
- National Energy Technology Laboratory, Pittsburgh, PA; Morgantown, WV; Albany, OR
- Strategic Petroleum Reserve, New Orleans, LA; and other SPR sites in LA and TX
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA
- Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM
The MLEF program may institute a virtual program as necessary.
The MLEF Program offers the following benefits:
- Direct exposure to and participation in research on DOE mission-relevant research areas
- Hands-on research experience and training under the mentorship of program officials and scientists
- Stipends ranging from $650-$750 per week (depending on academic status), plus limited housing and travel reimbursement
- Opportunities to present research at a program-sponsored technical forum
How to Apply & Program Information:
MLEF Program applications are due by January 23, 2023, at 11:59 EST. For application information and to apply, visit the MLEF website: https://orise.orau.gov/mlef/. The MLEF program is administered through ORISE. For questions, email: [email protected].