Mitacs Elevate Postdoctoral Fellowship Programme 2024/25 Now Open – Postdoctoral fellows – enhance your skills, apply your knowledge, and seize game-changing research opportunities with Elevate, a one to two-year program for top-ranked postdoctoral fellows in any discipline. Paired with a partner organization in need of high-level research expertise, fellows receive a minimum $55,000 annual stipend, proposal assistance and feedback from Mitacs, and invaluable access to cross-disciplinary networking and peer-learning opportunities that might not otherwise be within reach.
Mitacs Elevate is a postdoctoral fellowship with an exclusive professional development curriculum component. Fellows address complex challenges through:
- A one or two-year research project with a partner organization in need of high-level expertise
- A professional development curriculum that prepares Elevate fellows for success as leaders in research and industry
Fellows progress through the program in a cohort, giving them cross-disciplinary networking and peer-learning opportunities they might not have otherwise in their careers.
Over the one or two-year fellowship, fellows divide their time between their partner organization’s project and academic institution-based research with their academic supervisor.
The Elevate program offers:
- An award valued at $60,000 per year with a minimum stipend of $55,000
- Partner organization contributes $30,000 per year
2. An exclusive professional development curriculum
3. Proposal assistance, including application feedback, from a Mitacs Advisor
4. Certificate of completion after receipt of their exit survey and final report submission
Successful applicants receive a Mitacs Elevate award of $60,000 per year, for a total award of $120,000 for two-year projects, as well as the mandatory research management training curriculum. A minimum stipend/salary of $55,000 per year is allocated to the fellow, and up to $5,000 is allocated to research costs. Mitacs follows tri-council guidelines with respect to the use of funds towards eligible research costs. Awards are typically forwarded annually as a lump sum of $60,000 to the supervising faculty member, to be held as a research grant at their home academic institution, pending Mitacs’s receipt of the following:
- the $30,000 annual partner contribution
- any necessary documentation such as a Declaration of Conflict of Interest and/or other documentation as appropriate
Please note: Costs can only be incurred after research approval of the proposal AND the receipt of the partner funds at Mitacs as per Mitacs Policy.
Postdoctoral fellow eligibility:
- They are Canadian citizens, permanent residents or international applicants.
- They are based at an academic institution (including colleges or polytechnics) located in Canada for the duration of the fellowship.
- Their date of graduation from a PhD program is less than five years to proposed start date of the Elevate project, unless:
- Fellows who have had a break in their career due to military service, illness, or family leave may be considered exceptions and must be approved in advance of application
- If this situation applies to you or you have any questions, please contact Mitacs at email@example.com.
- They have fulfilled all PhD degree requirements (e.g., successful defence, final deposit, and sign-off of the dissertation), meet the postdoctoral fellow eligibility criteria at their home academic institution, hold a postdoctoral fellow status for the entire duration of their Mitacs Elevate fellowship.
- They can commit to the two-year Mitacs Elevate fellowship, including the exclusive professional development curriculum. Replacement or substitute fellows are not allowed
- Elevate alumni that have completed a 1- or 2-year Elevate project will be able to apply for another Elevate project. Postdocs can only be funded for a maximum of 3 years
- Postdocs can complete nine internship units (typically 3 years) of Mitacs funding, including any combination of Elevate & Accelerate in any order (e.g. Accelerate after an Elevate; hold more than one Elevate). One year of Elevate counts as 3 internship units.
- Fellows cannot apply to multiple Mitacs programs for the same period of time.
Fellows are ineligible if they have:
- Been employed for more than six months in an R&D position outside the academic institution after receipt of their doctoral degree
- Received an offer of employment from the proposed partner organization except an offer of this fellowship or short-term employment of up to six months while awaiting a decision on the Mitacs Elevate fellowship
- If the application is not recommended for an award, fellows may not be eligible to apply again if they have accumulated more than six months of industrial or partner organization work. It is recommended that fellows accept a temporary contract only if necessary and that the period is kept as short as possible.