Deadline: 25 June 2021
National Library of South Africa (NSLA) Trainee Assistant Archivists 2021 for South Africans
The objectives of the National Library of South Africa (NLSA) are to contribute to socio-economic, cultural, educational, scientific and innovative development by collecting, recording, preserving and making available the national documentary heritage and promoting an awareness and appreciation thereof, by fostering information literacy, and by facilitating access to the world’s information resources.
NLSA are inviting applications from suitably qualified persons between the ages of 18 and 35 for appointment on a three-month contract basis. The successful individuals will be based in Pretoria. Also apply for: Old Mutual 2021 Tech Talent Graduate Programme for African Graduates
– The purpose of this short-term employment opportunity is to assist the National Archives and Records Services of South Africa (NARSSA) to digitise, conserve, secure and make accessible its paper based and audio-visual archival collections.
– Successful candidates will receive training and be provided with real work experience enabling them to gain skills and valuable experience that can be applied in future jobs.
National Library of South Africa (NSLA) Trainee Assistant Archivists Requirements:
– Bachelor’s degree in Archival Studies, History, Heritage Studies, Film Studies, or Sound Engineering. A postgraduate qualification in any of the above fields will be an added advantage.
– Candidates who obtained their qualifications through the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture’s Heritage Bursary Scheme are encouraged to apply
– Computer literacy is an added advantage
– Ability to perform moderately heavy physical work
– Demonstrable excellent communication skills and outstanding work ethics
– Good interpersonal skills
– Ability to work in a team and under pressure
o Preservation and conservation services
o Arrangement and description of paper based and /or audio-visual records.
o Capturing, verification and data clean-up on the National Archives database
o Evaluation and preparation of paper based and audiovisual records for digitization.
o Follow detailed instructions.
o Prepare weekly and monthly reports.
o Be willing to rotate in similar roles as requested.
o Work rotational shifts, including weekends, when required to do so.
- Interested applicants must submit a completed prescribed application form obtainable from the NLSA website (www.nlsa.ac.za) accompanied by a covering letter; Curriculum Vitae; Matric/Grade12 certificate; certified copies of qualifications and academic transcripts not older than six months; and a copy of certified Identity Document by e-mail to [email protected].
– No applications from recruitment agencies will be accepted.