National Library of South Africa (NSLA) Trainee Opportunities for Librarians x25 posts
National Library of South Africa NLSA an agency of the Department of Sport, Arts and Culture
The National Library of South Africa wishes to make the following appointment at its Pretoria Campuses.
Trainee Librarians x 25 10 Month fixed term contract
Reference number: 01/08/2023
Salary Scale: R5 700.00 per month
The objectives of the National Library are to contribute to socio-economic, cultural, educational, scientific, and innovative development by collecting, recording, preserving, and making available the national documentary heritage and promoting an awareness and appreciation thereof, by fostering information literacy, and by facilitating access to the world’s information resources.
The NLSA invites applications from suitably qualified persons for appointment on a contract basis as GRAP Trainee Librarians. The successful candidates will be based at the Pretoria Campus.
NQF level 6 qualification in Library and Information Science or equivalent Experience in cataloguing will be an added advantage
- Physical verification of library material.
- Conduct quality control of the library material physically verified and investigate all library material not verified based on data on WMS.
- Clearing of exceptions emanating from the physical verification.
- Catalogue books on the WMS system.
- Keep the stack room tidy.
- Keep records of all work
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Ability to work well with others and communicate effectively with internal staff at all levels.
- Ability to work independently and deliver work within agreed timeframes.
- Effective problem-solving skills.
- ·Excellent computer proficiency in a Windows environment and other Office applications.
- Knowledge of an Integrated Library Management System.
- Sound judgement and the ability to solve problems.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills.
- Ability to work successfully under sustained pressure and should be able to respond to challenges creatively and positively they face.
The NLSA is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to the principles of Employment Equity. We encourage applications from people living with disabilities. NLSA reserves the right to not make an appointment.
Prospective candidates will be subjected to background verification, competency assessments and security clearances.
Applications: Interested applicants must submit a completed prescribed application form obtainable from our website (www.nlsa.ac.za) accompanied by a covering letter; Curriculum Vitae; Matric/Grade 12 certificate; proof of qualifications and a copy of Identity Document by email to: [email protected].
Please ensure that you quote the reference number and the position in the subject line of your email. Shortlisted candidates will be expected to avail themselves for an interview at the NLSA’s convenience. No applications from recruitment agencies will be accepted.
CLOSING DATE: 11 August 2023.
Should you not receive any correspondence/communication from the National Library of South Africa one month after the closing date, please consider your application as being unsu