Deadline: April 25th 2020
Call for Participation – PAYNCoP and UNESCO initiates a Sports Challenge against COVID-19 in observance of the International Day of Sports for Development and Peace 2020
In observance of the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (6 April), the Pan-African Youth Network for a Culture of Peace (PAYNCoP) in partnership with UNESCO is inviting young people from across Africa to take part in the Sports Challenge against COVID-19.
Every year, since 2013 when the United Nations General Assembly declared April 6 as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace (IDSDP), organizations and citizens across the world have always organized events and activities in their respective communities to show the power of sport in fostering peace and understanding, driving social change, and promoting community development. This year’s celebration comes at a time when the whole world is fighting the Corona Virus (COVID 19) pandemic, which has already claimed tens of thousands of lives, displaced communities and forced billions of peoples in containment. In such circumstances, sports remains a powerful tool for recalling human values of respect, solidarity, healthiest responsibility, teamwork, equality, motivation and resilience, all essential in the individual or collective fight against COVID-19, and for building foundations for resilience and peace in a troubled period.
In this regard, young people between 15 to 35 are invited all across Africa to join this sport challenge by making videos of themselves displaying their innovative skills and creativity in taking part in any sporting activity of their choice, as a contribution to strengthen their health, hence to fight against COVID-19; Post the video on their social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) using the hashtags proposed for this Challenge and encourage your friends to participate.
PAYNCoP and UNESCO will repost entries at random to raise awareness during the Challenge. Note however that reposting does not mean endorsement nor final selection.
How to participate – Sports Challenge against Covid-19
1. Make a one (1) minute video or less of yourself displaying your innovation and creativity taking part in any sporting activity of your choice during confinement or movement restriction period as your contribution to the fight against COVID-19
2. Post it on your social media (Facebook, Twitter or Instagram) using the hashtags
3. Follow UNESCO and PAYNCoP on Twitter and Instagram and like our Facebook pages
4. Tag at least five other youths and convince them to enter the challenge.
Important Basic Rules –
– Participants are advised to carefully read and follow the entry guidelines.
– Sporting activity must respect the health measures and confinement directives in place in your respective areas of residence (including staying at home, personal hygiene, social distancing, etc.).
– This Call is open to all young Africans across the globe between 15 to 35.
– Remember to post using the following designated hashtags: #IDSDPchallenge #SportsAgainstCOVID19 #Whitecard #IDSDP2020
The challenge will run from April 6 until April 25, 2020 (11:59pm GMT)
NB: Five winners (5) will be announced during a live online Forum on April 30, 2020. Winners will be awarded with selected sport kit. More detailed information on Prizes and the Online Forum will be provided later.
For more Information: Visit the website for PAYNCoP/UNESCO Sports Challenge against Coronavirus (COVID-19) 2020 for Young Africans