The South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) is a state-owned company responsible for the management, maintenance, and development of the national road network. SANRAL believes that education is the key to unlocking our country’s potential, and we’re committed to supporting deserving students on their academic journey.
Applications open on 1 June 2023 & close 30 September 2023
The bursary programme is open to both matriculants looking to pursue tertiary studies and current students already enrolled at a tertiary institution.
The programme supports studies in various fields that are critical to SANRAL’s operations, beyond just engineering. Limited awards on Postgraduate & undergraduate level are available in the following fields.
- Civil engineering
- Human Resources
- Supply Chain Management
Do you qualify for a bursary?
Students at university need a 60% overall average.
- Matriculants need a 70% overall average.
- Bursaries are for undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
- Awards will be made in line with SANRAL’s Employment Equity (EE) Transformation Policy objectives.
- The applicant’s financial situation will be taken into consideration.
- Applicants with other bursaries will be disqualified.
- Students with disabilities are invited to apply.
- Bursary recipients will have the opportunity to apply for on-the-job training.
Minimum Bursary requirement
To qualify for a bursary, you must:
- Be a South African citizen under the age of 35.
- Meet the academic requirements for your chosen course.
- Achieve a stipulated academic average:
- For students at tertiary institutions: 60% overall average
- For matriculants: 70% overall average
- Study at an approved South African tertiary institution (privately-owned universities will not be considered)
- Intend to enrol for full-time study (not part-time or distance learning)
- Complete an application form in full and include all necessary supporting documents.
Attention applicants! All applications are carefully reviewed and verified, and any misrepresentation of information could result in your bursary being cancelled, even if this is discovered after the award has been made. For a smooth verification process, please make sure that all application materials are accurate and complete. Also apply for South African National Roads Agency (SANRAL) 2023 Scholarships
Note: The course you indicate on your bursary application form must match the course you are accepted for at your chosen tertiary institution.
What to include in Your Application
LETTER OF MOTIVATION
- Tell us about yourself and explain why you would like to receive a SANRAL bursary (1 page)
CERTIFIED DOCUMENT COPIES
- For applicants in high school: Results from Term 1 and 2
- For applicants at tertiary level: Full academic record from current tertiary institution
- Proof of tertiary registration
- Your ID document or birth certificate (you must be a South African citizen)
- ID documents of your parents/legal guardian
PROOF OF RESIDENCE
- Water and electricity bill from the local council in the name of your parents/legal guardian
IMPORTANT APPLICATION INFORMATION
- PROOF OF INCOME SHOULD NOT BE OLDER THAN 3 MONTHS OF SUBMISSION
- ALL COPIES SHOULD BE CERTIFIED AS TRUE COPIES WITHIN 3 MONTHS OF SUBMISSION
- IF SUPPORTED BY A GUARDIAN, THE DEATH CERTIFICATE OF PARENT(S) OR A LETTER FROM SOCIAL SERVICES SHOULD BE INCLUDED
- INCLUDE PROOF OF REGISTRATION OF SIBLING (S) STUDYING AT TERTIARYINSTITUTION
- IF YOUR FAMILY IS FOSTERING A CHILD, PLEASE INCLUDE COURTDECREE
- MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE OF APPLICANT PARENTS, IF MARRIED, MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE OF APPLICANT
- ONLY FULLY COMPLETED APPLICATION FORMS WILL BE ACCEPTED
What does the Bursary Covers
To ensure that SANRAL can support as many students as possible, we apply a ‘Means Test’ to all applications. The test determines the amount of assistance that SANRAL can offer based on your individual circumstances. While we try our best to cover all your expenses, there may be cases where a family contribution is necessary.
Depending on the outcome of the Means Test, the bursary provided by SANRAL may offer either a full or partial sponsorship.
- Registration and tuition
- Study material and equipment
- Registration and tuition
- Access to Wellness programme
Our Future Plans
- Tutoring services
- Learner’s & driver’s license