Stimson Center GIS Southeast Asia Program Internship Spring 2023
The Southeast Asia program at Stimson Center offers internships throughout the year, with some flexibility regarding exact start and end dates. The program works to address important and timely policy issues concerning sustainable infrastructure development and clean energy development from a multidisciplinary perspective in Southeast Asia.
Currently the program is active on three main issue areas: (1) the Greater Mekong Subregion (GMS) and the current lack of regional coordination and system-scale planning of hydropower and its role within the broader food-water-energy nexus; (2) infrastructure development in Southeast Asia and the impacts of development partner initiatives such as China’s Belt and Road Initiative, the US Indo-Pacific Strategy, Japan’s Partnership for Quality Infrastructure, and (3) addressing issues related to illegal, unreported, and unregulated fishing. The program manages the Mekong Infrastructure Tracker, which leverages a GIS platform to provide data on infrastructure development and its socioeconomic and environmental impacts in a transparent and accessible manner. The Tracker is a deliverable of the USAID Mekong Safeguards project, implemented by The Asia Foundation.
The Southeast Asia GIS Internship offers a unique opportunity to build upon and apply educational, technical, and other experience by carrying out research and participating in the development of practical approaches to policy issues. Program director Brian Eyler seeks applicants who have a strong interest in data-driven analysis and the desire to develop policy analysis skills. The spring 2023 internship will be virtual, but interns will work closely with the director and other core team members.
Southeast Asia program interns should be prepared to assume administrative and organizing duties as well as research, writing, and editing in support of the Mekong Infrastructure Tracker and other projects. Specific responsibilities can include:
- Providing research assistance to program staff
- Collecting and verifying geospatial and descriptive data
- Develop, analyze, and visualize geospatial data
- Writing summaries of conferences, seminars, and other outside events
- Proofreading, editing, and assisting in the distribution of program publications
The following qualifications are:
Required – Stimson Center GIS Southeast Asia Program Internship Spring 2023
- Experience with ArcGIS or other GIS software
- Research abilities and the ability to communicate clearly and effectively both in writing and speaking
- Attention to detail and commitment to high-quality work
- Flexibility to work effectively both as part of a team and independently
- Demonstrated interest in sustainable development and/or environmental issues
- Experience collecting, cleaning, and managing data
- Familiarity with preparing and managing geospatial data and hosted data layers in ArcGIS
- Computer skills relevant to an office setting
- Initiative, maturity, and professionalism
- Personal computer with Microsoft Windows OS
- Project experience with Python or R
- Demonstrated interest in Southeast Asia and relevant issues
- Knowledge of the field and literature of international political economy, environmental studies, and/or global development
- International experience
- Research experience and previous work in NGOs and/or governmental agencies
We welcome applications from undergraduate, graduate, and professional candidates.