Tanzania’s Higher Education Students Loans Board Application 2023/2024
HESLB executes one of the key mandates in administering loans to students pursuing higher education. Every year, the Board prepares the Loan Application almanac to guide on the process of loan issuance to needy and eligible students. As per the almanac, Loan Application Window opens once annually. Both undergraduate and postgraduate students who are eligible are invited to apply.
Criteria on eligibility and the application process is stipulated in the Loan Application Guideline for the respective year which can be downloaded on this site. Prospective applicants are encouraged to read the guidelines carefully, prepare the prerequisites and make their application online through the Online Application and Management System (OLAMS).
Primary Criteria for Financial Support
First year applicants
(i) A Tanzania citizen not older than 35 years at the time of application;
(ii) Full time admission into an accredited higher education institution in Tanzania including the Open University of Tanzania;
(iii) A complete and correct application through the Online Loan Application and Management System (OLAMS);
(iv) Must not have a formal or regular income from employment or established contract in either public or private sector;
(v) Proof to have repaid at least 25% of any previous loan received from HESLB. This is applicable only to students ever dropped or discontinued from studies;
(vi) Must have completed ACSEE or other equivalent qualifications within five (5) years, i.e. from 2019-2023 inclusive.
- To read and understand the Loan Application Guideline for the respective year
- To prepare all the attachments to support their applications (birth certificates, academic certificates, national IDs etc)
- To ensure all documents are certified by relevant authorities
- To complete and submit their applications online through OLAMS and a copy by EMS
- To visit this website for updates on their application
- To submit necessary information to Loan Officer (Registration number and bank details)
- To sign payments sent to his / her college within the stipulated time
- To inform the Loan Officer in advance, if there is any problem related to their loans
- To visit HESLB website for more information on Higher Education Loans
- To attest on correctness and authenticity of the applicant’s information
- To remind the applicant on their responsibilities
Current Application Guidelines
To read 2023/2024 application guidelines and criteria for issuance of loans and grants, click here