Deadline: 31st March 2021
The James Ene Henshaw Foundation (JEHF) 2021 Playwriting Competition 2021 for Nigerians
We’re looking for plays that capture the pulse and moments of contemporary Nigerian society; writing with a unique voice that speaks to current and future generations.
The competition is open to anyone between the ages of 18 and 35 years resident in Nigeria, for the best original play for the stage.
Submit your idea for a play in the first instance by completing the application form and sending it to: [email protected].
If your submission meets the criteria for participation you will be invited for an online interview.
Successful submissions will be informed by 24th April, 2021.
Up to 5 submissions will be selected following the interviews, and each successful candidate will be assigned a mentor to work with to produce a full length play.
James Ene Henshaw Foundation (JEHF) 2021 Playwriting Competition BENEFITS
Each candidate will receive N50, 000. The best overall play will be awarded a further N50,000.
- Submissions are open to young people between the ages of 18 to 35 years.
- Submissions must be for the stage but may incorporate other art forms like dance, music, dance, poetry, and multimedia.
- Ideas must be original; interpretation of an existing piece of work already published may be accepted if it brings a fresh and unique perspective to the work.
- Ideas must be able to demonstrate the potential to advance the career of the applicant, and/or contribute to the advancement of the art form.
- Submissions must be able to be produced for a theatre environment, for no more than 6 performers, with a running time of between 45 and 60 minutes.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Participants are expected to work collaboratively with their mentors, and make themselves available for advice and guidance.
- Participants must present their play before or on the deadline. No extensions will be accorded for any reason or circumstances whatsoever. Failure to submit by the closing day will render the writer disqualified.
- Each participant will receive N50, 000. This sum will be paid to the participant upon submission of the completed play script, signed off by the mentor.
- The best play, as judged by a panel of judges, will be awarded an extra sum of N50, 000.
James Ene Henshaw Foundation (JEHF) 2021 Playwriting Competition TIMELINES
- Closing date for idea submissions — 31st March, 2021
- Invitation for interviews — 16th April, 2021
- Interviews — 20th April, 2021- 23rd April, 2021
- Notification of participation — 24th April, 2021
- Assignments to mentors — 25th April, 2021
- Submission of play scripts — 16th July, 2021
- Notification of JEHF Playwriting Competition winner — 16th August, 2021
Click here to download application form:
Click here to download submission guidelines: