The Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) Recruitment 2023 Application
KDF latest news on recruitment – The Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) is pleased to announce to the public the recruitment of General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets (Regular and Graduate degree holders), Specialist Officers, General Duty Recruits, Tradesmen/women and Defence Forces Constables, which is scheduled to take place in the months of August and September 2023.
The prospective candidates willing to join the Kenya Defence Forces MUST meet the following conditions and academic qualifications:
a. General Conditions
(1) Be a Kenyan citizen.
(2) Be a holder of a valid Kenyan National Identity (ID) Card. Additionally,the candidates must bring with them original and four (4) copies of National ID Card, KRA PIN Certificate and Academic certificates.
(3) Be within the following age brackets:
(a) Between 18 and 26 years for GSO Cadets and General Duty Recruits.
(b) Not above 30 years of age for Specialist Officers and Tradesmen/women.
(c) Not above 39 years of age for Chaplains/Imams.
(d) Have no criminal record.
(e) Candidates must meet the following minimum physical requirements:
1. Men 1.60m (5ft 3in).
2. Women 1.52m (5ft).
1. Men 54.55 kg (120 lb).
2. Women 50.00 Kg (110 lb).
(f) Body Mass Index (BMI) MUST be below 30.
(4) Female candidates must NOT be pregnant at the time of Recruitment and during the entire duration of training.
(5) Medical. Candidates must be medically fit and skin must be healthy devoid of large or deep scars and tattoos.
(6) Specialist Officers and Tradesmen/women should have a minimum of two (2) years practising experience in their field of specialization from the date of registration with the relevant regulatory/statutory body in Kenya.
b. Minimum Academic Qualifications
(1) General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets. Must hold a minimum mean grade of B (Plain) in KCSE with C+ (Plus) in English, Mathematics and one (1) Science subject. The training period for this category will cover three (3) years leading to a BSc degree in Defence and Security Studies upon completion.
(2) General Service Officer (GSO) Cadet Graduate Degree Holders. Must hold the minimum requirement to qualify as GSO Cadet in Para 3.b. (1) above and be a Bachelor’s degree holder from a recognized University/Institution. The training period for this category will be fifteen (15) months.
(3) Specialist Officers. Must hold the minimum requirement to qualify as GSO Cadet in Para 3.b. (1) above except for Chaplains/Imams who must hold a minimum mean grade of C+ (Plus) in KCSE. Must be a degree holder from a recognized University/Institution and be registered with a regulatory/statutory body where applicable in any of the disciplines listed at Para 4.c. The training period for Specialist Officers will be six (6) months.
(4) Service Members (General Duty) Recruits. Must hold a minimum mean grade of D (Plain) in KCSE.
(5) Tradesmen/women. Prospective candidates willing to apply must satisfy the conditions and requirements given below:
(a) Diploma. A minimum mean grade of C (Plain) in KCSE, a relevant Diploma or above from a recognized institution and be registered with the relevant statutory bodies, where applicable.
(b) Certificate. A minimum mean grade of D+ (Plus) in KCSE and either a relevant Certificate with Government Trade Test Grade II or Craft II from a recognized institution.
(c) National Youth Service (NYS) trained Technicians or Artisans who meet the above requirements are encouraged to apply.
Additionally, the KDF will conduct recruitment of potential National Youth Service (NYS) personnel from 18 to 22 September, 2023 at Embakasi Garrison, Nairobi. Candidates who have completed NYS training and meet the prescribed KDF recruitment criteria are to present themselves for consideration. Candidates with the following
technical qualifications have added advantage: Plant Mechanics, Plant Technicians, Plant Electricians, Plant Operators General Plumbers, Masonry, Electricals and Electronics, Welders and Carpentry.
(a) Be a retired Kenya Defence Forces Service Member or a retired National Youth Serviceman/woman.
(b) Be between the ages of 30 and 55 years old for retired KDF Service Members and between 35 and 45 years old for retired NYS Serviceman/woman.
(c) Possess a Discharge Certificate with a minimum rating of “Very Good” in conduct.
(d) Must have served for nine (9) years Color Service and retired honorably from KDF.
a. General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets.
b. General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets – Graduate Degree Holders:
(1) Archivist. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Information Management & Archiving or Records & Information Management and Archiving or Library and Information Science.
(2) Education. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Education Arts or Science specialising in either Geography, History, Music, Physics or Biology.
(3) Engineering. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Quantity Survey, Marine, Mechanical, Civil/Structural, Aeronautical/Aerospace/Space, Electrical & Electronics, Telecommunications, Architecture, Mechatronics.
(4) Environmental Science/Engineering. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Environmental Science, Environmental Health & Safety or any other related field.
(5) Finance/Business Management. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Commerce, Accounting, Finance, Audit, Entrepreneurship Marketing, Supply Chain Management, Procurement, Purchases, Human Resource Management, Public Relations.
(6) Hospitality/Catering/Food Production. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in: Hospitality Management, Food Production and/or Catering.
(7) Information and Communications Technology (ICT). Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/IT/Computer Engineering (System Admin/Auditor, Software Developer, Networking/Fibre Optics, System Audit/Analyst, Database Management, Cyber Security & Forensics, Applied Statistics, Hardware Engineering/developer, Network Administrator.
(8) Mass Communication. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Media and Mass Communications.
(9) Library. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Library Studies and Information Science.
(10) Security/Disaster Management. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Criminology, Disaster Management, Security Studies, Forensics, Peace and Conflict Studies, Document Examination, Ballistic Studies or related fields.
(11) Social Work. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Community Development.
(12) Any Science or Humanities in related fields as above.
c. Specialist Officers:
(1) Chaplaincy. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Theology/Islamic studies from a recognized institution. Roman Catholic and Protestant Chaplains must be ordained Ministers and recommended by Episcopal Conference and Archbishop respectively. Imams must be recommended by the Chief Kadhi.
(2) Education Officer. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Education.
(3) Engineers. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Civil/Structural/Modular & Other Maritme works, Electrical/Electronics, Mechanical, Quantity Survey, Quality Assurance (Inspection).
(4) Information and Communications Technology. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/IT/Computer Engineering, Cyber Security & Forensics, Information Security & Forensics).
(5) Supply Chain Management. Must hold a Bachelors degree in Purchasing and Supplies Management and/or Procurement and Logisticts.
(6) Mass Communication. Must hold a Bachelors degree majoring in Public Affairs, Broadcast Journalism or Digital Journalism.
(7) Legal. Must hold a Bachelor’s of Laws degree (LL.B) from a recognized University, be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, hold a current and valid Practicing Certificate. Certified Public Secretary (CPS) will be an added advantage.
(8) Library. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Library Studies and Information Science.
(9) Medical. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Dental Surgery, Medicine and Surgery, Clinical Medicine, Pharmacy, Medical Laboratory, Biomedical Engineering, Nutrition & Dietetics, Nursing, Physiotherapy,
Counselling/Counselling Psychology, Public/Environmental Health, Health Records & Information Management, Radiology & Imaging,
(10) Sports Management. Must be a holder of a Bachelor’s degree in Sports Science.
(11) Security/Disaster Management. Must hold a Bachelor’s degree in Criminology or related fields.
d. Tradesmen/Women (Diploma Holders):
(1) Band/Music. Must hold a Diploma in Music.
(2) Catechists/Maalims. Must hold a Diploma in Catechetical Studies,
Religious Studies in Catechists & Pastoral Ministry, Islamic Studies/Sharia or equivalents.
(3) Education. Must hold a Diploma in Education.
(4) Engineering. Must hold a Diploma in Electrical & Instrument, Refrigeration & Air Con, Automotive (Vehicle Technician/Electrician), Mechanical (Plant/Crane Operator/Boiler), Aeronautical (Airframes &Engines), Electrical & Electronics, Radar/Radio/Telecommunication/ Power), Land Survey and Catography.
(5) Information and Communications Technology. Must hold a Diploma in Computer Science/Engineering (System Admin, Software Developer, Web Design, Networking/Fibre Optics, System Audit/Analyst, Hardware & Repair, Data/Information Management/ Statistics, Cyber Security & Forensics, Information Security & Forensics).
(6) Mass Communication. Must hold a diploma in Journalism, Graphic Design, Animation, Sound and light Engineering, Audio Visual production and photography.
(7) Medical. Must hold a Diploma in Clinical Medicine, Kenya Registered Clinical Health Nurse (KRCHN), Medical Laboratory Technology, Occupational Therapy, Laundry Technician, Social Workers, Mortician, Pharmacy, Medical Health Records, Public Health, Counselling/Psychology, Analytical Chemistry, Bio Med, Community Oral Health, Radiology & Imaging, Physiotherapy, Dental Technology, Nutritionist and Optometrist.
(8) Paralegal. Must hold a Diploma in Law or Legal Studies and have a minimum of two (2) years’ experience.
(9) Security/Disaster Management. Must hold a Diploma in Criminology, Document Examination, Ballistic Studies or related fields.
(10) Sports Management. Must hold a Diploma in Sports Administration/Management and Fitness Administration and Management.
e. Artisans (Certificate Holders):
(1) Automotive Electrician. Must hold a Craft/Certificate in Automotive Electrician.
(2) Carpentry. Must hold a Craft/Certificate in Carpentry.
(3) Catering. Must hold a Craft/Certificate in Catering &Hotel/HospitalityAccommodation Management.
(4) Electrical. Must hold a Craft/Certificate in Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
(5) Plant/Crane Operator. Must hold a Craft/Certificate in Plant Operations.
(6) Plumbers. Must hold a Craft/Certificate in Plumbing/Pipe Fitting.
(7) Tailors. Must hold a Craft/Certificate in Tailoring.
(8) Vehicle Mechanics. Must hold a Craft/Certificate in Motor Vehicle Mechanics.
(9) Welder/Fabricators/Fitters General. Must hold a Craft/Certificate in Welding/Fabricators technology.
How To Apply
All interested candidates for Specialist Officers and Tradesmen/women vacancies MUST apply online, visit: https://applications.mod.go.ke to submit your application( FROM 30/07/2023 ). The deadline for applications for these categories is 20th August2023. Shortlisted candidates will be notified through the print media between 17th to 24th September 2023. NOTE: All applications will be received online.
The KDF Recruiting Teams consisting of the Kenya Army, the Kenya Air Force and the Kenya Navy will be visiting the Recruitment Centres on dates as indicated below to recruit General Service Officer (GSO) Cadets, General Service Officer Cadets – Graduate degree holders, General Duty Recruits and Defence Forces Constabulary:(Kenya Defence Forces Verified accounts only).
For more Information: Visit the The Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) website