U.S. Department of Commerce 2023 Future Leaders in Public Service Internship Program
Applications are open for the U.S. Department of Commerce 2023 Future Leaders in Public Service Internship Program. Managed by the Partnership for Public Service, the Future Leaders in Public Service Internship Program helps bring diverse young talent to government and offers students the opportunity to apply their educational training to work at a federal agency.
The program is actively recruiting its summer 2023 cohort to join the Department of Transportation, the Department of Commerce, the General Services Administration, the Small Business Administration and the Department of Housing and Urban Development as paid interns. Undergraduate, graduate and professional students from across all academic disciplines are welcome to apply.
Selected participants in the program will receive:
- A 10-12 week summer internship at the Department of Commerce, the Department of Transportation, the General Services Administration, the Small Business Administration or the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- $4,000 to cover stipend and other expenses.
- Professional development sessions, including orientation and networking events throughout the summer.
U.S. Department of Commerce 2023 Future Leaders in Public Service Internship Program Program Eligibility
To apply to the program, candidates must be:
- U.S. citizens at the time of application submission.
- Currently enrolled at an accredited educational institution in an undergraduate or graduate program. Undergraduates must be current second-year students/sophomores and above.
- Able to demonstrate superior academic achievement and have a GPA above 2.5.
- Interested in at least one of the following career tracks:
Students admitted to the program must successfully complete a background check before beginning the internship in June 2023.
Summer 2023 Timeline
- September 1, 2022: Applications for the summer 2023 cohort open.
- November 27, 2022: All completed applications must be submitted.
- January–February 2023: Virtual interviews conducted.
- February–March 2023: Selected fellows will be notified of placement.
- March 2023: Background check process begins.
- April 2023: Virtual orientation.
- June 5, 2023: Internship begins.
- August 2023: Internship ends August 11–25 (internships run 10–12 weeks, based on what is agreed upon with each intern’s host office and supervisor).
Want to learn more about the Future Leaders in Public Service Internship Program?
Join us for a virtual information session this fall. Learn from program staff and alumni about the opportunity and how you can explore a rewarding career in federal government through an internship. Information session dates:
· Thursday, October 6 from 5:00pm-6:00pm ET
· Monday, November 14 from Noon-1pm ET
Please register here. Login details will be sent to those who register.