Deadline: 31 December 2022.
University of North Texas (UNT) Dallas Conrad Leadership Program 2023
Are you a college student looking for a summer internship? Apply for the Dr. Emmett J. Conrad Leadership Program.
The Conrad Program is managed at University of North Texas (UNT) Dallas, but is open to all qualified undergraduate and graduate students across Texas. You do not need any affiliation with UNT Dallas to apply.
Texas State Senator Royce West established the Conrad Leadership Program to help Texas students gain employment experience before they graduate.
The program is named after the renowned Dallas African-American physician and educational advocate, Dr. Emmet J. Conrad. Since being established in 1993, there are now more than 2500 Conrad Alumni.
In May 1993, State Senator Royce West established an internship program through a partnership with Paul Quinn College and the Texas Veterans Land Board to assist Paul Quinn College students with acquiring (paid) employment experience. In June 1993, the program was expanded to include any qualified student residing in District 23 and the employer sponsors were increased from one to nine corporations and agencies. Twenty-seven students were serviced by the inaugural program. The program was renamed the “Dr. Emmett J. Conrad Leadership Program” in August 1993, in honor of the renown Dallas African-American physician and educational advocate. Since 1993, there have been more than 2,400 student placements through the program.
Conrad interns at UNT Dallas used the skills they learned in the Marketing & Communications department to create their own video highlighting their summer experience.
- Be enrolled at a four-year college or university.
- Maintain a grade point average of at least 2.5 (on a 4-point grading scale). This allows for your consideration for the program. Many of the employment sponsors have higher grade point average requirements.
- Complete the on-line application process and provide required documentation (references, resume, transcript). Attend mandatory orientation.
- Pass selection committee interview.
- Commit to participate in one service learning project and two summer professional development sessions.
- Pass employer sponsor interview.
- Adhere to company employment policies and procedures (Submit to criminal background check, credit check, and/or drug tests, when required by employers).