University of the Western Cape (UWC) Residence Application 2024
UWC Residence applications for 2024 are now open and will close on 31 October 2023.
The process will take place exclusively online, via the Residential Services Management System (RSMS).
The RSMS Online Application Page can be found on the following link: https://residentialservices.uwc.ac.za/Account/Login
Students can log in via a PC/laptop or cellphone and can do so using one of the following:
- South African Identification Document (ID) number
- UWC Student number
- Passport number
- Application number
A step-by-step guide to applying can be found by clicking the following button:
The Department of Residential Services is committed to creating developmental opportunities and support students in achieving their academic and leadership goals. We further pledge to deliver an effective and efficient service, which promote the educational experience whilst allowing for individual growth.
Placement & Administration Unit
Together, building a united, transformed & vibrant residence community
Residential Services Administration consists of the Placement Section which is responsible for residence applications, subsequent residence placement of students and related administration which includes fee charges. The Business Administration unit manages holiday accommodation and provides administrative support to the rest of the department.
Did you know that our placement and administration unit is responsible for this process shown below?
Application Administration → Selection → Placement → Re-admission
Useful Information for New Res Applicants
- Accommodation will only be offered to students who are registered for diplomas, degrees or postgraduate courses, on a full-time basis.
- A first-year applicant should complete the residence application section in the general application form (either hard copy or online) before the 31 October of the preceding year.
- The onus remains with the applicant to verify his/her accommodation application status prior to his/her arrival on Campus.
- Where and when available, Residential Services may reserve the rooms for first year students, during the weekend prior to the start of the university orientation program. Failure on the part of the student to arrive for participation in the official Orientation Program of the University will result in the forfeiture of the accommodation.
- Students residing outside a 60km radius will receive preference for accommodation and proof hereof may be required.
- University residence accommodation is only valid for 1 official academic year (excluding the winter and summer vacation), and the dates as prescribed in the official university calendar, part 1, are contained in the general information section under the section for academic terms.
- Students are required to apply on an annual basis to be readmitted to residences via the official readmission process.
- Students affected by academic work prescribed by various faculties outside of the official academic year mentioned in point 6 above will be required to apply for accommodation in a separate process viz, vacation accommodation.
- It is the responsibility of all applicants to ensure that accommodation has been secured prior to their arrival on campus. The University cannot be held responsible for students who arrive without the written confirmation of accommodation
General Information: Re-Admission Policy
- The student must be accepted by the Faculty to qualify for accommodation.
- A transfer student must complete the Residence application form online. The application must not reach the office later than the 31 October of the preceding year.
- First time and previous UWC residence students Post Graduate Applications must complete the application process for residence in the general application form/ process of the university before the 31 October of the preceding year
- The room will only be reserved for a student for 72 hours for post graduate applicants from the time of the written offer of accommodation by RS. Failure by a student to occupy the room within the said time frame will result in forfeiture of the room. The student must communicate with the Placement Officer with valid reasons for a further extension. The extension granted will be at the discretion of the Director RS. Thereafter, the applicant will forfeit his/her offer of accommodation.
- University accommodation is only valid for 1 official academic year (excluding winter and summer vacations) and students are required to apply on an annual basis to be readmitted via the official readmission process (web-based application on the University website).
- A student will be allowed a maximum of one additional year for the current undergraduate course registration. e.g. a student who registers for LLB degree for five years will be allowed to apply for 5 years + 1 year annually (which will follow a special appeal process for consideration).
- A student expelled or suspended from residence will not be considered for accommodation in the following year. The student would need to reapply, with written motivation for reconsideration.