Deadline: February 24, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
Western New York (WNY) Prosperity Fellowship Program 2023
Generously supported by the Prentice Family Foundation, the Western New York (WNY) Prosperity Fellowship Program supports University at Buffalo students who are committed to contributing to our region’s economic vitality.
The program delivers on this promise by providing Prosperity fellows with professional development opportunities, as well as resources and access to Western New York business leaders and the community.
This fellowship program assists undergraduate and graduate students who are actively preparing for careers that further economic development and growth, especially in the Western New York region. Applications for the 2023-24 will now be accepted through February 24, 2023.
Who May Apply
- All undergraduate candidates who are at least junior-level and continuing graduate students
- All transfer undergraduate candidates who are at least junior-level and incoming graduate students
All potential candidates must submit their applications by February 24, 2023 at 11:59 p.m.
The Prentice Family Foundation’s Western New York Prosperity Fellowship Program is a truly innovative program for college and graduate students with an entrepreneurial drive who want to make a difference in Western New York.
The Fellowship Program assists undergraduate and graduate students at the State University of New York at Buffalo (UB) and Canisius College who are actively preparing for careers that further economic development and growth in the Western New York area. The Fellowship Program combines financial assistance, in the form of scholarships, with paid, credit-bearing internships to assist Fellows in acquiring both academic and practical experiences in their intended professions. Fellows are given the opportunity to intern in their chosen fields of interest, where they work alongside and are mentored by leaders in upper-level management.
UB and Canisius administer the Fellowship Program with their own specific admission standards and levels of financial assistance. However, a common requirement is that in exchange for receiving the benefits of the Fellowship Program, Prosperity Fellows must commit to working in the eight counties that comprise Western New York for at least two of the ten years following their graduation, thereby giving back economically to the region they have pledged to support.
Although UB and Canisius each have their own standards and application process for applying for a Fellowship, as well as their own requirements regarding the internship program, they both offer their Fellows a high level of instruction and hands-on experiences that are designed to instill an understanding of the economic challenges and opportunities awaiting them as they undertake their post-graduation careers.
- Prosperity fellows will engage with like-minded individuals who also show promise to be leaders in their industry and community.
- Fellows will receive consistent WNY development-focused internship support, including paid summer internships (including tuition and fees) in the eight-county Western New York region*. Fellows will participate in facilitated informal discussions (three anticipated throughout the summer) to share and reflect upon internship experiences. A final reception will be held to celebrate completion of the internships.
- A networked, cohort-specific enrichment experience (winter session seminar) will enhance fellows’ professional development skills and improve their capacity to engage effectively with the Western New York community.
- Fellows will benefit from specially designed soft-skills development programming to support their successful transition from academia to the professional arena.
- Fellows will receive complimentary membership to attend meetings and trainings sponsored by Explore Buffalo and the WNY Venture Association.