HomeSayouth Job OpportunitiesSA YOUTH JOBSWhen To Approach South Africa Small Claims Courts

When To Approach South Africa Small Claims Courts

When To Approach South Africa Small Claims Courts

Many people are stuck in situations where someone has wronged them but they don’t know what to do. If this is the case, you may be able to approach the small claims court to sort out the dispute.

The Small Claims Court can be used to resolve civil disputes that involve amounts up to R20 000. You can also represent yourself in a small claims court and do not need a lawyer.

When You Can Approach The Small Claims Court

  • If someone owes you money and they refuse to pay you at the agreed time;
  • If someone has bought goods from you and did not pay for it;
  • If you have rented out a house or any other property to a person (tenant) and the tenant does not pay the agreed rental at the right time;
  • If you have a document that proves that you should receive money from someone, suchas a cheque, an acknowledgement of debt or promissory note;
  • If you are involved in an accident and you can produce proof that the other driver was at fault;
  • If you have a business that lends people money on credit and your creditors are not paying the agreed instalments;

When You Can’t approach Small Court:

  • You go against a judgement or order of a court.
  • Amounts higher than R20 000
  • You are against the State, local municipality or local government.
  • For the official cancellation of a marriage.
  • Concerns the validity of a will.
Israel Wellington Jeremiah
Israel Wellington Jeremiah
I work to provide access to global experiences to all through educational opportunities like scholarships, training and conferences, fellowships, grants and awards, jobs, internships , learnerships and volunteer programs.