Deadline: December 1, 2022
Women in Ocean Science University 2023 Ambassador Programme
The Women in Ocean Science University Ambassador Programme is a unique network of female and female-identified+ university students from academic institutions across the globe. The programme exists to support university students in their journey to emerging professionals and early-career researchers, providing access to a global community, support system and safe space. Women in Ocean Science is committed to creating an inclusive programme, supporting ambassadors from diverse cultural and socio-economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, and gender identities.
Currently hosting 65 ambassadors across 55 academic institutions worldwide, the purpose of the WOS University Ambassador Programme is to promote and inspire other females and female-identified+ within their universities / colleges to participate in marine science whilst raising awareness of the Women in Ocean Science mission. Each ambassador has their own take on the role, creating change within their local community whilst also forming part of a global network.
- A one-year ambassadorship, with the opportunity to apply to be a Women in Ocean Science Ambassador in subsequent years.
- Access to all monthly professional development workshops (online)
- First access to Women in Ocean Science in-person events
- Opportunities to represent Women in Ocean Science at conferences and /or external events as a university ambassador
- Visibility and opportunities to be featured on Women in Ocean Science social media and website
- Access to the global ambassador network through the Facebook group and monthly newsletter
- Women in Ocean Science ambassadors will be asked to help create awareness of gender issues within marine science, in addition to spreading the word on Women in Ocean Science research, workshops and more.
- The Applicant must be a female (female-identified+) and aged 18+;
- The Applicant must be studying marine biology (they welcome applications from undergraduate, masters and PhD students and those in both full or part-time study);
- The Applicant must complete the online application form;
- Every Ambassador must perform a monthly check-in with the WOS ambassador co-ordinators.
How to Apply
Women in Ocean Science selects marine biology students on a quarterly basis to be a part of the ambassador programme. Applicants will submit a written application form via the Women in Ocean Science website, and if selected, will complete a short, informal interview with our ambassador team.
Applicants will be informed of any decision via email. Note that they only accept two ambassadors per academic institution each year.